We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to call back to the US

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
st louis
2 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way to call back to the US

We will be traveling to Manilla and need to keep in contact with our kids, 7yrs and 4yrs daily by phone. What is the cheapest way? We will probably be staying in a guest house a few days but will also stay at the intercontintal for the remaining time. We could bring cell phones and are looking into sim card(?).....we could also bring a laptop and use internet phone(we use vonage at home) or would it be better to buy calling cards and if so should we buy them there or in the US before we go?

Thanks so much

manila
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to call back to the US

I haven't tried it, but my brother uses skype thru his PC. all you need is 2 PC's and download skype from the net. its free ;)

CALLS ARE FREE ;)

Guam, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to call back to the US

I also recommend Skype. You can make Skype-to-landline/mobile calls by purchasing SkypeOut credits in $10 increments. Call quality is great, and the rate is only about a couple cents a minute.

st louis
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to call back to the US

Thanks for the info,

Just another follow up question....to use skype would I need to bring my laptop and adapt it somehow to link up with the internet or can I use a computer there? I have read that internet cafes are common.

Thanks

Guam, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to call back to the US

Of course it would be most convenient if you had your own laptop, however there are usually one or more Internet cafes in every shopping mall - very easy to find. Just make sure you request a computer that has a headset w/microphone, and be sure to sign out of Skype before leaving the computer when you are done (to prevent the next user from using your credits).

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to call back to the US

Internet cafes are common, most hotels, many restaurants and malls are wi-fi hotspots.

6. Re: Cheapest way to call back to the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 19:20