We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Manila safe?

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
is Manila safe?

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me with the above question.

I am thinking to fly out to Manila on business and was wondering how safe it is there I hear that there i allot of Terrorist activity and earthquakes.I'm thinking of going next week and would appreciate some honest advise.Thanks

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is Manila safe?

The Philippines is composed of 7,100+ islands, and the terrorist activities you have been hearing about are mostly confined to the far south islands. Manila, or Makati (the central business district) is very safe -- it's a bustling metropolis with offices, shopping centers and night life much like many asian cities.

I'm assuming from your nick that you are Australian, so you may wish to contact one of the aussie foreign chamber of commerce for more advice: Australian-New Zealand Chamber of Commerce Phils (www.anzcham.com)

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is Manila safe?

Oops, that was supposed to read "...may want to contact the aussie chamber of commerce..."

Here are a couple more chambers you may wish to contact:

European Chamber - www.eccp.com

British Chamber - www.bccphil.com

Addlestone, Surrey
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: is Manila safe?

Manila is no less safe than London, and on the whole the people are nicer. I live in Surrey, and worked in London until I retired.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is Manila safe?

I'm married with a Pilippina and have been to Manila a lot of times.

It's a BIG city, so it's the same all over the world: just take the normal precautions, as you would do in Rome or Paris, or any other big city. Personnaly I never had a bad experience, except maybe some discussions with a cabdriver ... :-)

Of course you should avoid some shabby sides of the city, just as in other cities.

You will find that people there are more friendly than you thought.

About earthquakes: yes, sometimes it happens, just as a plane can drop down... ( I have been in Tagatay when there was a quake of 6.2 - it's scary, but afterwards you have something to tell your grandchildren ... :-)

Don't let this scare you off, because earthquakes really DO NOT happen that much, and certainly not in the Manila region.

Have a good time in a fantastic country with beautiful people!

Danville, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is Manila safe?

Chances are, you will be flying in to Manila but conducting your business in Makati, the financial center of the country. Makati is just like any major city with high rises, traffic, Starbucks, busy restaurants for lunch, crowded sidewalks during business hours, etc. Earthquakes... I live just outside of San Francisco and you would not believe the millions of tourists that visit our beautiful city knowing that we are the earthquake capital of the western world. Crime... there is more crime in the streets of Detroit and Los Angeles in one night than in Manila for one week.

Go and enjoy yourself and then read your posting when you return and get a chuckle for your worries. It is okay to worry and you did the right thing by getting outside opinions.

I will be in Makati next week. Might bump into you at Cafe Havana in Greenbelt 3... good music, outdoor sitting, and beautiful people.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is Manila safe?

Thank you all for replying to my post and sharing with me your valuable advise i feel rather silly now!. No doubt i shall report to tripadvisor upon my return and hopefully share my experiences with other members.Once again i thank all you.

7. Re: is Manila safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 13:23