We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

Which Quezon City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

I am currently in Quezon City and am a foreign woman traveling alone. Friends have warned me not to go out at any time on my own. How safe (or unsafe) is the area around Banawe Ave. in Quezon City for a non-Asian foreign woman? I'm not happy relying on my friends' schedules in order to go out and about!

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

How will you travel?

Walk? Walking is ok daytime. You may find it intimidating at night with groups of people just hanging out.

Taxi? Any time is ok with the usual precautions.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

Like FSRP01 said, it's okay to walk in daytime but don't put your money all in one place. Place some in different parts of your bag, inside your shoes, in your pockets, etc. Dress plainly. Don't wear jewelry. Banawe in Quezon City is usually busy with auto supply/hardware shops during the day. You can visit SM centerpoint, the University of Sto. Tomas or the Sto. Domingo church. These are short cab rides away. After 6 pm, be sure you're home since the streets won't be as populated and it diminishes the safety factor.

Walking around is generally better around mall areas. For example, Mall of Asia, Greenbelt, Glorietta, Eastwood, etc. To get around, I suggest taking a taxi, especially if it's not rush hour. You'd get there fast and comfortably. The jeeps have a pre-determined route so if you're not familiar with them, you'd get lost. When walking on the sidewalk, keep your bag zipped and close to your body. Walk on the inner side and not the edge near the streets. There are some gangs who ride motorcycles and snatch bags.

Basically, just be alert and after a while you'll get used to it. Your friends probably mean well since by telling you all this you'd probably get scared or have a bad impression of Metro Manila. However, in my 7 years of commute and growing up there, I've just encountered pickpockets. Petty theft is the only thing to watch out for. And of course, don't believe strangers who offer you stuff. If the taxi driver starts spraying something inside the taxi, get out ASAP and hail another one. All these are practical stuff which would be useful to know anywhere you go.

Manila, Philippines
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

Thank you!!!

Manila, Philippines
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

Thank you filipina_traveler 26 and FSRP01! Your answers were so very, very helpful!!

I'll put your advice to good use now and go do a bit of exploring!

Thanks again!!!

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

@ Missy

During the day - you should not have any issues. The men in Banaue tend to be safe.

At night - exercise the same caution as you would in any other place, keeping in mind not to go away from the town center.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
40 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

wouldn't walk around the area at night.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

YLOO,

Do you mean Banaue? Or Banawe Ave? Bit confused.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

@ Soul,

Egad... I thought Banaue....! Must be the proximity to my cave ...

@ Missy B

Please ignore what I wrote - I meant Banaue ( Cordillera) - not QC.

9. Re: How Safe Is Banawe Ave Area for a Woman Traveling Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:15