We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long lost hotel

Which Patara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Long lost hotel

I wonder if someone can solve a puzzle that's been bothering me all day, please?

We visited Patara in 1996 (first holiday with husband) and stayed at a hotel on a hill to the left of the village (looking at it from the direction of the sea). Neither of us can remember what it was called, and we'd love to go back, but I can't find anything that looks exactly like it on TA.

It was very basic - we had just a small room with an ensuite shower. Obviously, it could have been completely refurbished, but the photos still don't look quite right. The nearest I can get to it is the Delfin, or perhaps the Viewpoint/Golden Lighthouse, but they look in much better condition (again, could have been refurbished) and much greener (okay - the trees will have grown somewhat in 17 years!).

Any ideas? The pool was to the left of the hotel, if that helps.

Thanks!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long lost hotel

Hello Jackie,

was it perhaps Sema Pension, run by a family? İ stayed there during my first stay in Patara, must have been about the same year as you. The father's name was Ali. İ can't remember his wife's name and they had 2 little children. The pension is still there and İ believe the son is grown up and also working in the business.

Sema was passed the Patara Viewpoint, as you say on the left uphill, and from there there was were stone steps going down ending up near the Golden Pension.

Does it ring a bell???

Edited: 07 January 2013, 17:57
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long lost hotel

But if it was on the left from the sea it might be on the hills behind the village center, eg. Zeybek 1, Zeybek 2, Appolon...Viewpoint and Sema are on the right ( from the sea), if I remember right?

http://www.zeybek1pension.com/photos.html

www.zeybek2pension.com/german/home.html

http://www.ferahhotel.com/#g_32_0

www.hotelapollon.net/eng/foto_galeri.html (it is refurbished)

Do you have perhaps some more details? Or some old photos? Or perhaps the name of a family member?

We have been in Patara from 2001 till 2006, so I know a lot of pensions and hotels, but not all, of course:-))

Edited: 07 January 2013, 22:04
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long lost hotel

Hi both

Thank you for getting back to me with so much detail. It definitely wasn't a pension - it was a reasonable sized hotel. It had an indoor restaurant where we ate breakfast overlooking the pool, which - as I said before - was to the left of the main building.

If you say the Viewpoint and Sema are to the right of the village centre, then it’s not them. It's not any of the others you suggest, either. Could it be the Ligthouse, do you think? If you came up the track from the sea, you reached the main road - which was horizontal to the sea track - and it was at the left hand corner, just up the hill - only a short stroll. At the time, I believe there was a pizza restaurant at the junction.

I’ve tried using Google Earth, but that’s not really helping as I can’t make out the village centre properly.

As there doesn’t seem to have been much in the way of development since we were last there, I’m baffled as to why I can’t find it. Do you think it could have been demolished and rebuilt?

Apologies for confusing you, as well as myself!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long lost hotel

I have found a map of Patara showing hotels, does this help?

hostelbookers.com/hotels/…

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long lost hotel

Missy-moo, that's really kind of you - the map is a great help!

Based on my hazy memory, the map and the photos on its website, I think it is the Golden Lighthouse and that it's had a makeover since we were there. I think I'll email the owners and ask about the history of the place.

Thank you for all your help - you've been brilliant!

6. Re: Long lost hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:08
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long lost hotel

I have an idea. If you don´t find the right hotel but if you would like to stay there again, by hook or by crook, you could book another pension or hotel just for the first few days and then have a look around. Perhaps you are lucky and will recognize it again, then you can try to book at them for the rest of your stay, or at least spend some time there:-))

Unfortunately it seems that Patara is pretty calm since some years, so you will probably be able to find free rooms without pre-booking.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 21:22
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long lost hotel

I'm embarrassed to admit this, patara01, but having looked at the map and the photos, my husband is now pretty sure that the place we stayed at was - as you suggested right at the start - Zeybek 1!

It does look similar to me (we have photos, but they're not the best), but my recollection is that it was a bit bigger. It also had a pool bar, which it doesn't appear to now. But, of course, that doesn't mean that it's not the same place - they could simply have removed it.

I like your idea about going there anyway, and just looking around for it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long lost hotel

Your welcome:-)!

If I remember right the Ferah has/had a pool bar, but I´m not very sure now:-). It is on the way up to the dunes, before you pass the big hotel on the hill. In 2001 this big hotel was "Beyhan", then it changed into " Marinem Patara Resort". It has a beautiful garden with many exotic plants and a large pool. And became worser every year...

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long lost hotel

BTW, the Zeybek has been pretty popular at this time. Every year a professor for archeology (from Vienna) has stayed there with his students for some weeks, for excavation works. Perhaps you remember?

Get answers to your questions about Patara
Recent Conversations