We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire and SatNav

Oxford
Level Contributor
188 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire and SatNav

Hi,

I've seen the recommendations about car hire companies on the forum but can anyone tell me whether it is better to book online or wait and find a car while we are out there? We will be out at the beginning of October if that makes a difference.

Also, can anyone tell me if you can get a satnav with the hire car? I'm used to my Navigon 4350max but I don't seem to be able to get a map for Turkey.

Thanks

MD

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

Really haven't seen satnav with hire cars here but I may just not be looking! How far were you intending driving in Turkey? Most places are linked by well sign posted main roads ;=)

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

As you're posting on the Bodrum forum, I assume you're flying into Bodrum airport. We always use www.propercar.com for hire cars. They're reliable and reasonable. They'll drop the car off wherever you need it and collect it from the same.

As for satnav, I don't reckon you'll need it to be honest. Where were you thinking of visiting?

I live on the Bodrum peninsula for 6 months of every year and have explored the whole peninsula without a satnav and without getting lost (well not much anyway). The fun is to try all the different roads and see where they lead. Just remember that petrol is more expensive in Turkey than it is in the UK and that smaller villages won't have garages so make sure you've always got some in the tank.

If you want to go somewhere specific on the peninsula, everywhere is well signposted; it's only when you go off the beaten track that you can go down roads without knowing where they lead, but this is so much fun.

If you want to do some touring off the peninsula, everywhere is really well signposted. There's only one road which takes you off the peninsula and then when you get to Milas, you can go in the direction of Izmir or in the direction or Marmaris, Dalaman and beyond.

Jak xx

Oxford
Level Contributor
188 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

vip, Jak,

Thanks for the replies. I guess you're right about not needing the satnav - I managed without for many, many years! You do get dependent on the dratted things ;-/

I was thinking of doing the drive up to Ephesus and some of the other sites off the peninsula for a few days. It's our first time in Turkey and we would like to see more than just the local area. (Jak - based on your description in other threads we thought of doing the two day tour to Ephesus and Pamukkale but we're not sure we would be able to make the 6am start as we are staying in Gumusluk.)

Suggestions for day trips would be welcome!

Thanks again

MD

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

Well it's a fair drive up to Ephesus but the road is better than it used to be so it shouldn't be too bad. They are really improving the roads in the area so you may encounter some roadworks. You would follow the signs for Izmir and before that, turn off for Selcuk. Also in the area is Sirince, a village close to Selcuk, famous for its wines.

It's a shame you can't do the two-day trip to Ephesus and Pamukkale, it really is worth it. If you booked a trip, there would be transport from your hotel so you wouldn't have to travel anywhere to get the coach - or is it that you don't like early mornings ;-)

On the way to Ephesus, you will pass Bafa Lake. It's worth stopping here, and also making a detour to visit Heraklia, it's like going back in time.

If you want to do less driving, then maybe a short trip to Milas would be a good day out. There's a more Turkish feel about this town, some shops (market day on Tuesday) and some very old architecture to admire.

You could also go in the opposite direction from Izmir, towards Dalaman. You could always turn off down to Marmaris and Icmeler but before that you could turn off and have a look at Akyaka on the Gulf of Gokova. The drive over there has some spectacular views once you crest the hill.

Alternatively, you could head towards Milas and then turn off towards Oren (passing Becin Castle). This will take you more inland before you rejoin the coast. Another shorter trip is to head out of Bodrum and turn off towards Mumcular. There is a network of roads you can try out there, including going up to Camlik village.

If you need any more ideas, just ask but hope this has given you something to think about.

Jak xx

Oxford
Level Contributor
188 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

Hi Jak,

Thanks for the ideas for trips.

The trouble with getting the two day coach trip is that we are renting an apartment outside Gumusluk and - as I understand it - we would have to catch the coach from somewhere like Turgutreis at 6 and I can't see a sensible way of getting there that early.

MD

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

Often if you explain to the tour guide they will arrange for a pick up for you. One i used picked me up in his own car once to meet the coach at a hotel!

The drive to Ephesus isn't difficult and a nice drive! Head towards Milas then Selcuk - well signposted once you get to Selcuk.

A car gives you the freedom to explore a little more on your own and see more than the organised tours arrange. Also you don't have the inevitable comfort break at the Gold Factory!!! There are a few threads on driving to Ephesus on the forum so may be worth a browse :)

Oxford
Level Contributor
188 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

vip,

Thanks for the thoughts - we will probably decide about the trip once we are there.

MD

8. Re: Car Hire and SatNav

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Bodrum City