We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

I have just read on this website about the dolphins in Bodrum:

dolphinproject.org/blog/post/update-on-capti…

More recently, 4 dolphins, named Ada, Doga, West and Ada 1, who were being held at a dolphinarium in Bodrum-Güvercinlik, were moved to the KaşDolphin Park in early December 2011. These four bear not only the physical scars of maltreatment, with numerous cuts around their beaks and faces, but also the less obvious but ever-present emotional and psychological scars.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

"do dolphins in Bodrum suffer?"

The simple but unpalatable truth is that captive dolphins everywhere suffer terribly and many of those here in Turkey are in particularly poor shape due to very bad living and handling conditions.

Anyone who truly loves dolphins will NEVER attend one of these performances no matter how appealing the idea may seem.

If you are coming here on holiday this year please,please do not give these places your money and don't give your money to trip agents who sell tickets for them either,deal with an ethical business who doesn't support dolphin cruelty.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

Anyone considering swimming with dolphins please read the above link. Dolphins do suffer and if people don't visit these appalling parks then maybe the poor animals can be freed.

shipley,west...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

Agree if people didnt pay to go to these places they wouldnt exist, its all about money and the welfare of these poor creatures means nothing, to go and see animals performing stupid humiliating tricks is beyond me, its so dated weve moved on from the days of performing animals, id rather throw my money down a drain than give it to them.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

Yes

Billingshurst...
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

of course they do.

n j
Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

It has always been mine and my sisters life dream to swim with dolphins. When we found out we could swim with them in Bodrum for £40 each we were over the moon. However now we wished we had waited. I don't believe that all dolphins in captivity are unhappy. This is because in some places dolphins are more than happy to breed, for example in the Dominican Republic. Dolphins are supposed to be the most intelligent animals to man kind and if they were not happy they would not breed.

Brodum Dolphin park was a very very sad experience. Not only were the captivity areas very small, the dolphins themselves were scarred. Whilst me and my family were there one of the dolphins even had a freshly cut nose! It was horrific to see. I have heard the reasons for the scars and cuts is due to the dolphins attacking each other because of their unhappiness. It was one of the saddest experiences of my life and never again will I step foot in that park (unless its to free to dolphins)!. The dolphins were not cooperating in the show or swimming, which just shows they are not happy!! The only way to help these poor animals is to spread the word to stop future customers! If they are not getting customers, they cannot afford to keep these dolphins in captivity!

So please please try and spread the word and help these poor dolphins!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

Thanks for reporting this n j, I hope people will stop going to this awful place. If people didn't go they would have no reason to stay open.

liverpool
Level Contributor
103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

It would be naive not to realise that they suffer,if people did not go there then it would have to close

L E
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

The dolphins in that park are sexual agressive to people and that is because of the stress they live in with the small pools and a huge amount of people coming every day. I can't belive that the trainers didnt stop the guests from entering the pool when they saw this behavior. Its all about the money. They dont care about the dolphins OR their guests safety when they let people swim with stressed dolphins.

DONT PAY ANYTHING TO SWIM WITH THE DOLPHINS. For your own safety..

Bodrum City, Turkey
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Dolphins in Bodrum suffer?

If you really want to experience swimming with dolphins then avoid any kind of activity with captive dolphins!

Go and swim with wild dolphins - they choose to interact with you and are as curious and interested in you as you are in them.

I go to Bimini regularly (8 times so far) to experience that kind of spiritual connection that comes when the dolphins freely and naturally interact with you. There are no guarantees that they will join you; we sometimes spend hours out on the ocean with no sightings. But when they do decide they want to play there are no words to express the sense of joy they bring as you join them in the water and they swim towards you and look into your eyes! Oh, I wish I was there now! Shame on Bodrum!

Get answers to your questions about Bodrum City