We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Hi there all

Have just booked to come to Bodrum in October with Thomas Cook

We are going to the Bodrum hotel and spa.

First time to the country as have been to Florida for the last 6 years.

I am trying to find an email link or web site to allow me to search or book excursions

OR

Have I got to wait till we get there and book?

Quite happy to try most things

Also when paying at resort how do you pay (sterling, euros or Turkish lira) as have heard that you can get stung if you pay by credit card

Sounds stupid but do you tip waiters/bar staff? if so with which currency and how much.

I know on the florida forum the very mention of tipping starts world war 3 every time so hope this site is moreeasy going

The more help and tips the better and many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Florida
Florida
United States
britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Wait until you get there to book your trips so much cheaper! and book independently not through T Cook..!

We always pay in Lira but save some notes for market trips (if you intend to shop)

Tipping is not compulsory (the majority of Turks don't tip) We tip but there is no hard and fast rules. Depends on where- what -or how the food was? You do not need to tip if is just a drink you are having.

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

If you book with T.C.you will pay through the roof,just have a look at the many agents when you get there.They will have more or less the same trips but look for offers.If you book 2 or 3 trips you could get a free trip,they often offer a free half day village trip.This is very nice and includes a village lunch.As for money I would advise taking a little Turkish Lira,enough for your first day,then change over there you will get a better rate of exchange.Just to let you know the dolmus (mini bus) service is very good for getting around the peninsula & visiting other resorts.This is a very cheep way of getting around.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Thanks for information given.

Just wondering are there plenty of places to get tours/excursion from ?

Do we need to go into a main town or are there some near where the hotel is?

So glad that tipping doesnt seem to be such an issue in Turkey as it is in Florida.

Just ot of interest do you still tip even if All Inclusive?

Anymore tips on where to go or what to do there will be most appreciated.

If AI do you get unlimited bottled water or when you use up what you have to you then have to pay? Is bottled water expensive ?

Finally can anyone suggest a local Alcohol to try ?

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Hi yes I always tip wen I'm in ai hotels. The staff are not paid alot and they only work the season so just giving them a tip helps them

Water is not expensive

Always plenty of water in the ai hotels. They usually leave a couple of bottles in the room fridge. Dependent on wat hotel u stay at u usually get soft drinks and sometimes alcohol!

We. We went to bodrum a few years ago and found the castle was a gd half day out. If I remember rightly it is closed on Mondays. You pay to get in but it's not a great deal.

Enjoy yr holiday

Angie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

The local tipple in Turkey is Raki - ainseed flavoured clear drink that when mixed with water turns cloudy White. Turks drink it with food in many cases instead of wine. It goes particularly well with fish and many Turks go to a restaurant and order a 'rakı balık ' meaning fish with Raki. The local beer is 'Efes ' more a

lager. There are local spirits -Vodka / Gin etc which are quite strong tasting but drinkable in my opinion. Also many nice Turkish wines to

try. Alcohol is more expensive relative to other things in Turkey as it carries a lot of government tax.

Tipping is nothing like US - a small tip after your meal / drinks is really appreciated in Turkey as waiters work very long hours for low wages and many Turks do not tip so when

tourists do it is very welcome.

Trip wise wait till you get there and don't book via Thomas Cook.

If you go into Bodrum dolmuş (bus) station you can hop on a dolmuş to any number of towns and villages around the peninsula and explore quaint unspoilt and rural villages within half an hour of Bodrum. Great day out.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 11:57
Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Thanks for the posts on this just wanting to take one of the pointers a stage further.

The agents that sell excursion trips - are these mainly in shops/booths or are they up back streets and individuals trying to sell.

If anyone knows is the Bodrum resort and spa close to a built up area where I could go to get these tickets.

Went into T.C. beginning of March and a full day jeep safari was £39 went in to book 3 weeks later and had gone up by £2 each yet the exchanges have been in our favour over the same period.

ALSO

on this and from what can make out just about all the trips NO DRINKS AT ALL are provided in the cost and are all at an extra cost. What, if anyone can say is the cost and what would you be expected to pay for these in currency???

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

There are little agency shops all over where you can book your trips, all much of a muchness. Your hotel is actually in Icmeler ( not the one near Marmaris) which is outside of Bodrum town. You can get the dolmus (local bus) to Bodrum bus station and you are then right in the centre of Bodrum where there are loads of agencies nearby.

There isn't much around your hotel apart from other hotel complexes so you will need to go into Bodrum to visit shops or get dolmus to other places on the peninsula.

Drinks aren't included in any trips - drinks you buy aren't madly expensive although alcohol isn't that cheap in Turkey.

The village tour trip is a nice half-day - you go up into the hills and get to see a different side of the area. A boat trip is a must - so relaxing and a chance to see the coastline.

Jak xx

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Don't book your trips with Thomas Cook, they will be a lot more expensive. There are plenty of travel agencies around Bodrum to book trips with and they are pretty much all the same price. You will see the shops along the main streets. The only trip that will include drinks is an all inclusive boat trip, which includes soft drinks and a local cheap beer.

As for tipping normally people will leave a small tip of a few coins if it is just a drink and around 10% for a meal

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

Book your own excursions, it is really easy and Thomas Cook are rip off merchants I'm afraid. If you book your own you dictate some of the itinerary. Pay in TL it is their currency and minimises a double exchange penalty - if you have already changed TL pay in TL,most places offer TL or options but my sensible head says their banking must be easier in home currency. I never use my credit card in Turkey but that is my choice.

10. Re: Booking day tour/excursion with Thomas Cook and help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bodrum City