We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth writing reviews?

surrey
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth writing reviews?

Just wanted other people's opinion on this one. Whenever I go away i like to write a review in the hope that it will help others. Likewise, I like to look up other people's reviews of places that interest me.

TA have just informed me that 860 people have read my latest review in the last seven days. Guess how many people have actually said it was helpful? Wait for it...................................................FIVE!!!! LOL Do I conclude that the other 855 people did not find it helpful or was it just that some were not bothered enough to press the button?

Edited: 12 June 2014, 20:44
britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

I ALWAYS read the reviews and look forward to them.

It's not that I take a lot of notice of the restaurant reviews because we all have differant tastes and to be honest my favourite restaurants are seldom in the top places. A couple of years ago there was one restaurant in Bitez that was voted number one on here and when we visited it was one of the worse meals we have ever had in Turkey. But after saying that Bodrums number one even though it is Spanish (sad hey Spanish not Turkish?) I think deserves it's top place.

Now hotels - apartments are a differant matter and I do take notice of them If they had constant bad reviews dirty ect I would not touch them with a barge pole.

So please carry on with your reviews you don't need a "helpful button" for people to enjoy them. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Bitez
Bitez
Bodrum, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Liverpool
Level Contributor
484 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

The reviews are an excellent source of information and valued probably by many who don't vote helpful. I am probably guilty as most for just reading them and not voting helpful or not but after saying that I don't think it is important how many votes you get anyway. Never thought of it before reading this post.

Level Contributor
168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

I wrote a reveiw for one of the top rated restaurants in gumbet last year as the food and service imho was rubbish to my surprise the reveiw was removed by the owners because apparently it breached TA policy on reviews undettered I changed a few words and did another only for that to get removed, this went on four times until I finally wrote one which they couldn't remove, since then I never bother with reviews and don't trust unscrupulous owners who only have excellent reviews and very few poor ones as all they do is complain to TA and get the bad ones removed thus putting them up high in the ratings ready to Catch out holiday makers who know no better. I wonder how may other reviews this restaurant has removed in a regular basis

From then on I have converted to using the forums as you usually get more honest and truthful replies. So if your in gumbet watch out for one of the top rated restaurants (pp)

Read this reveiw quickly as it too will probabably be removed soon

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

I read reviews but I don't always write whether it was helpful. It isn't that I don't think it is, I just don't bother. I think a lot of people probably do the same. Don't worry about how many thanks you get. I have never even checked how many thanks I have got for my reviews.

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

LOL Dougal it (it is still here at 12.00) and I agree with you 100%

I have been lucky enough to spend a few holidays a year in Turkey and I watch the way they tell people (and beg) them to write them a good review on here.It has got a lot more frequent over the years as T/A has become more world renowned.

They ask people on F/B to write them good reviews,I've seen a bloke handing leaflets out on the beach saying eat here it's number one on T/A so do a write up. I take the "first posts " with a pinch of salt" as a lot are written by staff members.

I read one partiular review (on one of my favourite hotels) earlier in the year which was really bad if you had read it you would never have stayed there it was unbelievable!!! Spoke to the owner in April about it and he said it was written by someone a Turk who had bought a prostitute in and wrote it with a grudge. (The post has been removed)

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

I write reviews and always read reviews and usually scroll back through them all to get a general gist of the feeling for whatever place it is. TBH I never click the helpful button against any review as it could be a combination of several reviews that helps me.

keep writing the reviews. The number of views is telling you it is being helpful and don't worry about the helpful button being pressed.

:)

Wells, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

Dont ever give up, i always read and post loads but usually forget the helpful bit. ive only got a few "helps" myself and i couldnt care a monkeys. keep on keeping on.

surrey
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

Ok thanks for your replies everyone. Guess I will just have to stop being so sensitive. I ALWAYS press the helpful button when I have read something that helps, albeit only in a small way. Am not trying to gain brownie points, just wondering why so many people read reviews and then don't bother to acknowledge the fact. Was brought up to always say thank you. Off soap box now ;o)

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

Also people possibly more browse through the reviews to get an overall impression rather than concentrate just on a particular one.

As has been pointed out there some "strange" reviews there ;-) or for example a very bad review that is due to a small problem that could have been sorted rather than the whole picture.

10. Re: Is it worth writing reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bodrum City