We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosque

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Mosque

I have just been told that the Mosque in Bitez is particularly noisy because it is on the beach and the call to prayer happens about 4 times a day including early morning. Has anyone experienced this as intrusive on their holiday enjoyment?

Mentioned in this post
Bitez
Bitez
Bodrum, Turkey
Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosque

İ don't find the call to prayer particularly intrusive, it's part of Turkish life (it being a Muslim country). Yes there is a mosque on the beach and the first call to prayer happens early in the morning but unless your hotel is right next door to it, İ bet it doesn't wake you.

Jak xx

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosque

I agree with Jak, it is all part of being in Turkey, plus the lunch time call is handy as it reminds you that you are late for your lunch time beer! You may hear it the first few mornings you are there but after that you will sleep through without a doubt.

Sandra x

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosque

Yes, you do hear the call of prayer in Bitez, 5 times a day, even at sunrise. I actually love to hear it when I am in bed early in the morning, I find it very calming. I stayed at the Sultan restaurant a few times and that is very close but it didn't bother me in the slightest

As the others have said, it is all part of being in Turkey :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bitez
Bitez
Bodrum, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosque

Thank you for those replies, of course it is part of being in Turkey, and I fully appreciate and understand that, so I hope we will find it is a part of the culture but not overtaking the reason I am there for my brief stay, which is to relax and have peace and quiet. We once went to a hotel near a mosque where the prayer calls seemed to start up almost as soon as the last one had finished, lasting for ages, and it was the only background noise to the holiday. So I just hoped it wasn't going to be like that.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosque

Dont worry Angie we have been going to Bitez for many years & it has never been like that.

Mentioned in this post
Bitez
Bitez
Bodrum, Turkey
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosque

Hi angie i see from other posts on the bitez forum that you are planning to stay at either the sirca or the meis. I am sure whichever you pick you will have no problems with the call to prayer from the mosque. You will be a good distance away whatever your choice is. I quite enjoy it and have been going to turkey and especially bitez for a number of years.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosque

Thank you all for your reassurances, it is a great help, and thank you lleahy for taking the trouble to reference my earlier posts, such attention to detail, you posters are so great. Cheers Angie

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosque

If you are at Meis or Sirca you will hear the mosque but only in the background, it wont wake you with a start or anything! It probably wound't wake ypuo anyway from there unless you are a serioulsy light sleeper.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosque

Why don't you take some ear plugs as a precaution?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosque

Hi Angie

Or maybe why not appreciate listening to the call to prayer while relishing the culture and enjoyment of a holiday in a beautiful part of Turkey?

Hope you have a lovely time. Em.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Bitez
Recent Conversations