We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Andover UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Hi folks.

My wife (both 29) and I are considering a holiday to Turkey last week of August/First week of September. The prices seem to half if we can go the 1st of September, which we can, what are the main advantages/disadvantages other than price of going earlier?

We have never been to Turkey but from doing research I have narrowed it down to 2 areas, Bitez or Gumbet. A few questions if I may.

1. Who does the cheapest flights from the UK?

2. Do people recommend Self Catering or AI?

3. Is it safe at present with the issues in Turkey?

4. How are prices in comparison to the UK?

If SC is the best route then I am looking at staying at either Meis Apartments or Manuela Hotel in Bitez, if AI then I quite like the look of the Asarlik in Gumbet.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Hi

Holiday prices etc drop when the kids go back to school so Turkey will still be hot but not quite so busy in early September. We have always found Easyjet to be a good airline if you book well in advance but it is worth shopping around this time of year.

Gumbet is a lively place for shopping, cheap bars, nightlife etc wheareas Bitez has a more chilled out atmosphere. (They are only a short taxi ride away from each other so maybe try both?).

We always opt for self catering as there are plenty of places to shop for supplies but also we have the option of trying out many of the places to eat in Bitez - breakfast or lunch on the beach somedays or a nice meal in the evening with friends.

We can honestly say that we have never felt unsafe in Turkey - obviously we take the same precauctions as we would anywhere in the world (safety deposit box, not carrying too much cash etc.)

Prices are generally cheaper than the UK with great bargains if you are prepared to haggle!

Have a great time.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

There isn't an awful lot of difference in going beginning of September or end of August except that thy charge twice as much when it is school holidays.

We too have found Easyjet to be very well pried but have a look at Skyscanner, you can campare ailrines and dates by putting whole month rather than specific dates.

We prefer self catering as we don't like to be tied to hotel and there are so many good places to eat in both Gumbet and Bitez. Also unless you are prepared to pay a lot for AI it isn't always very good in Turkey.

You would not know there were any issues in Turkey in either Gumbet r Bitez at the moment and hopefully by the time you are thinking of going the problems would have been resolved. Don't let it worry you too much.

Eatng out is generally cheaper than in the UK, anywhere along the beach front or the main street in Gumbet is more expensive but you can find some lovely little places just back that are very resonably priced. Alcohol isn't cheap. Beer and local spirits are reasonable but anything imported is very expensive due to high taxation.

It is great for shopping expecially clothes, shoes and bags. If you haggle you can get some real bargains.

Meis apartments in Bitez are lovely, they are very popular and I would definitely recommend them.. Manuela hotel is right on the beach and again very popular so either would be a good choice. Royal Asarlik Hotel in Gumbet is one of the more decent AI hotels in Gumbet so really any of them would be fine.

GUmbet is a lot livelier than Bitez, with more bars, shops and restaurants. Bitez is more relaxed and laid back and I think the beach is nicer there. Both resorts are very close, just 5 minutes in a taxi, so whichever you choose to stay in you can easily visit the other.

I hope this helps, just ask if you want to know anything else :)

glasgow
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

I used to stay in Gumbet when I was younger but since my late 20s I've been staying in Bitez for a more laid back feel. The beach is lovely and there's a great selection of restaurants for the evening. If I fancy a livlier night I just hop in a taxi to Gumbet 5 minutes away. Best of both worlds!!

I'd personally stay self catering, as has been previously mentioned you need to pay a fair bit for a decent AI in Turkey and with so many great restaurants it seems a waste to be tied to a hotel.

Meis is always a popular choice but books up quickly. Summer garden is another alternative, it's in a good location and the 1 bedroom apartments are a good size with big balconies (not so easy to find big balconies in turkey)!

In terms of safety, I really wouldn't worry. You'll not see anything of what's going on in Gumbet or Bitez. My biggest thought on it is whether it'll affect the flight prices so I can get a cheap deal in the next few weeks!!

I find monarch are always competitive on prices. And skyscanner is good for searching, especially if you can be flexible on dates. Try just searching 1 way cause sometimes its cheaper to fly out with one airline and back with another!!

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

I agree with what has been said,I also think staying A.I.in turkey is such a waste as the restaurants are great.While food is a good quality and a good price,beer is more expensive than in U.K.

If you like to have a laid back hol then go for Bitez or if you like a more lively hol then go for Gumbet.As said you can always go over to for a night out.Manuela and Ambrosia both have entertainment each night.I think you will find it impossible to get into Meis now ,you have to book early.

Andover UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Fantastic replies thanks to all, this place is amazing.

Looks like Bitez self catering for us!

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Perfect choice.! ;-)

Andover UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Manuela Hotel £190 for the room for a week for two people, Meis was coming in at around £350?

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Manuela is not self catering.?

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

That's right. Manuals is a hotel. If you want self catering you could look at Basri Apartments.

Andover UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gumbet or Bitez? Self Catering or All Inclusive? First Visit

Sorry terminology mix up.

We will eat out so we don't need facilities in the room.

Get answers to your questions about Bitez
Recent Conversations