We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Turkey

Cambridge
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Turkey

Hi Has anyone rented a car in Turkey and what was driving over there like?

8 replies to this topic
Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Turkey

We have often rented a car as we live out here on the Bodrum peninsula for half the year. We always use www.propercar.com in Bodrum. They are reliable and reasonable and will deliver and collect from your chosen pick up point.

As for the driving; yes, it's different from the UK but to be honest if you're going to drive around the peninsula, you won't have much difficulty. Away from the one main road, the others are pretty quiet.

Just expect the unexpected, ignore the tooting of horns if you are a little slow pulling away from a junction and take it easy.

Jak xx

Cambridge
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Turkey

Thank you Jak....That was really useful advice.

Will rent a car for a few days for sure but was worried about road safety etc...

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Turkey

It took me years to figure out that the tooting of horns at the traffic lights is due to the fact that the lights are set so close to the first car in the junction, that the first row of drivers can't tell when the light goes from red to green unless they hang out of the window. Hence, everyone from behind toots to help them along. Once I realized this, my vocabulary softened.

Another rather loose rule is that you're responsible to look out for everything in front of you but nothing behind you...

Cambridge
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Turkey

Hi SCBC That made me smile...I think I have been to other places where it is the same had hoped Turkey would be better...But at least now I know.

Thanks again.

5. Re: Car rental in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 July 2012, 13:05

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Turkey

We rented from National Car rental in April of 2013.

Renting a car and driving in Turkey was a great idea! You get so see so much more compared to the "canned Sardine runs" of the organized tours!!!

Renting from National Car Rental of Turkey was good and bad!

Pros:

1) Renault Fluence sedan, large and comfortable,

2) Diesel motor very economical. We got about 45 miles per (US) gallon.

Cons:

1) We picked up the car in Antalya. When we had problems, we wanted to "swap" the car which (unlike US or Europe) was NOT POSSIBLE!!!

2) The central locking system did not work and there was no manual locking available either. So we always had to "keep and eye" on the car and could not leave cameras and other valuables in the car!!!!

3) The right front end developed an annoying creaky messy sound.

4) Repeated calls to National offices yielded no results.

Be careful about who you rent from and what the terms and conditions are related to swapping out a defective vehicle for a defect free one!

7. Re: Car rental in Turkey

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 15:05
Edited: 18 January 2015, 15:05

8. Re: Car rental in Turkey

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 15:05

Reply to: Car rental in Turkey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Golturkbuku
More Golturkbuku Topics