We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riveria Guler Resort

Stakeford
1 post
Save Topic
Riveria Guler Resort

Please , please, please change your booking. We have just spent two weeks in the Guler and it was a horrible experience,the worst place we have ever stayed. We have a 3 year old son and I do not feel this is a safe place for him. If you go with the attitude that its a YMCA type level of quality that has had no investment for the last twenty years, with the oppertunity to be treated rudely when eating and drinking, then you may be able to stomach it. I defy anyone to reccommend it.There were very basic safety issues ranging from your room door that can not be secured from the inside, railing around the pool area wide enough for my son to easily fit through leading to a 40 foot drop and even unguarded drops around the resort. Customer service does not translate into Guler speak. The Hotel is run by arrogant staff, there is no entertainment of any note, 1 beer pump in the pool bar and a choice of 3 watery spirits. 1 drink one customer means if you leave your glass, have it cleared then return to the bar later for a nother drink, you will be asked where your glass is, have a finger waved in your face, or as happened to one of our friends, the barman will stop serving, go to your table, count the people and glasses and return to provide a watery replacement. There is a childrens park that is rusty and unkept , with swings hanging from rusty bolts. The resort itself is in an even worse state as the roads ans paths are bieng replaced, a fact that was not communicated to us prior to departure. On a plus side ther are some excellent restaurants in the area, China town, Majestic and The Royal are all great, but again there are no "Pavement laws in this area as you will find in Marmaris or Ishmiller, both places we have stayed in the past and would reccomend to anyone looking at Turkey as a destination. (Pavement law incidently stops shop owners and restaurant meat and greaters walking onto it and requesting your patronage). The whole experience was saved by yet again meeting some great people, both holidaying with us and at the above mentioned restaurants and the great beaches. Turkey is a great place for family holiday but this little part is most definately NOT.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

I stayed at the Guler a few years ago, and agree it wasn't the best and would never stay there again, and how on earth anyone can tell me thats a 4star hotel is laughable.

So yes I agree with you and i wouldnt recommend it, but i would recommend the resort as family freindly as weve been going with our children for a few years now.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

Sounds pretty grim! Have you done a review? it would help others if you did.

liverpool
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

hi, we v just retd from the same hotel and what a nightmare that was, exactlty as u said, and that slight incline that was mentioned in the brochure is in fact a fairly steep hyill, o good for older patrons or slightly infirm, and the animation team would insist on taking the youngsters on a bender every night, at 12, and theyd happily roll in at 4am shouting and screaming etc, and despite lots of families complaining to the managaemnt they were not bothered AT ALL !! our only saving grace was that we met some lovely people, and ended up going out for meals and drinks, cos the service and amenities at this hotel were rubbish !! then whn we checked into the airport they were trying to charge £5 for a can of orange !! its a rip off so im emailing teh turkey tourist board now !! wish id read ur review beforehand,never again

wales
Level Contributor
620 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

Dave I have booked a holiday here with First Choice with my wife and daughter. Any further coments to your report would oblige. Is there a safe available? I did read that there had been a shooting outside the hotel. Any knowledge of this incident ? Many thanks, Duncan

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

Hi Dave,

Seem like you had a bad time at the hotel, good on you for putting this up so others can see what it's like as without sites like this most of us go abroad blind.

I'm surprised what you said about pavement laws - as far as I'm aware, Gumbet does have pavement laws. The can only tout from on their property, be it on the steps, or running along the inside shouting at you.

There is cctv watching them all the time through the main streets, and we were told if they get caught once, they are closed for a week, for a 2nd time, closed for 2 weeks and if caught 3 times shut down for the season. We didn't experience it too much last year as they did all stay on their property.

The only place where it seemed more prominent was along the beach or down the sidestreets!

Nothing like alanya and kusadasi 15 years ago when they would chase you up the street and put their arm around you to try and drag you back!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

The perils of this hotel have been well documented over the years.All the bad comments can be believed.I know it is a budget hotel but there are better available at the same price and in a better postion.

Wales
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

the only plus site of this hotel is the actual people staying there. We had to make our own entertainment as theirs was non existant. The beer was awful except after eleven when you had to pay for it and it miracouously became drinkable, the steps from the entrance to restauant and pool areas is an expedition in its self, after this trek and a swim you only needed a bike to finish your triathlon, the food is swimming in undescribable sauces and if what ever the meat was on offer you could guarantee that was the soup the following day, fruit was gone off, the staff are arrogant and very unsocialable, the old saying of you only get what you pay for doesnt count at this place as people with asbo's could only enjoy the surroundings.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

We have just today arrived home from this hotel,and after reading the reports(we had already booked it)thought we would give it a go,make the best of a bad thing.One of the lousiest tricks was that come 7:25 in would waltz the owner and his 'entourage' to choose 'their' evening meal,which the head waiter with help from one of his waiters,duely delivered,and the choicest cuts of meat was picked out by the chef to them to his SPECIAL TABLE IN THE RESTUARENT.It was packed out and this table although seating 4 was usually used by just 2 of them would of gave the chance for 4PAYING CUSTOMERS to eat when they wanted.The owner had his lackies 'reserve' a sunbed or 2 early on,and only use it for half an hour or so,although if you need to get a good spot you need to put your towels out the night before and believe me this was done regulary.This bloke was very arrogant towards the british and seemed to look down his nose at them.A few nights ago he had his lackies set up 2 tables near the pool for his family and these where set upwith all the food they required,but when last night a couple of the young english lads,who after getting their meal found nowhere to sit took thier food to the pool,he then saw this and rang down to the restaurent to get them moved.Some of the Turks where spoilt rotten,not queueing for the beer etc.Food was very repetetive whilst the salad bar and deserts where infested with flies.there was only one lad serving behind the bar most of the time,doing the cleaning etc so sometimes the queue got quite long.Come 11pm and the free bar finished this was usually when the queue was it's biggest you never got your inclusive drink.We never got much hassle off the shop owners et al just the usual no thank you sufficed.

we went on the last day cruise at a cost of £110(2 adults and 1 child)all inc gulet trip and 'simple hotel'(dilek)on evening meal only.the bus was to arrive between 0010 and 0040 for a 0410 flight but this bus never turned up till gone 0115(our room at gular was given up at 0930and we had been up from 0600)we where taken to the feeder park to await the coach to transfer us to the airport,which turned up but never left till 0220.we was then informed about a 2 hour delay to the plane to manchester and arrived at a packed out airport.this delay went from 120minute delay to a 190 minute delay getting away at after 0700.we decided that we would let the train take the strain instead of driving and had booked the return home from manchester pic at 0911 to go back to hull,and missed it,although if it had stayed at 2 hours we would of been ok.we went to thomas cook desk for a letter of confirmation regarding the delay as we had missed our train to be told that they don't do them only for delays over 8 hours by an extremley rude and arrogant employee.i pointed out that we had left sufficient time to catch our train,her reply being that we should read the 'small print'it apparently says to leave at least 8 hours from returning to carrying on with your outward travel(i mean who wants to wait in train station for 8 hours).to cap it all some thieving to rag decided to rob the wires of the line near hull meaning the train terminated at selby where we was stranded after they fille a coach and 2 large minibuses for over an hour and half till we decided to make alternate arrangment to get home(this will be another complaint to tpe as well as thomas cooks)

whinge and moan over but after having no sleep since getting up a 6am saturday morning and now i will leave it at that and put in a better report re this hotel tomorrow

Kingston-upon-Hull...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

We have just today arrived home from this hotel,and after reading the reports(we had already booked it)thought we would give it a go,make the best of a bad thing.One of the lousiest tricks was that come 7:25 in would waltz the owner and his 'entourage' to choose 'their' evening meal,which the head waiter with help from one of his waiters,duely delivered,and the choicest cuts of meat was picked out by the chef to them to his SPECIAL TABLE IN THE RESTUARENT.It was packed out and this table although seating 4 was usually used by just 2 of them would of gave the chance for 4PAYING CUSTOMERS to eat when they wanted.The owner had his lackies 'reserve' a sunbed or 2 early on,and only use it for half an hour or so,although if you need to get a good spot you need to put your towels out the night before and believe me this was done regulary.This bloke was very arrogant towards the british and seemed to look down his nose at them.A few nights ago he had his lackies set up 2 tables near the pool for his family and these where set upwith all the food they required,but when last night a couple of the young english lads,who after getting their meal found nowhere to sit took thier food to the pool,he then saw this and rang down to the restaurent to get them moved.Some of the Turks where spoilt rotten,not queueing for the beer etc.Food was very repetetive whilst the salad bar and deserts where infested with flies.there was only one lad serving behind the bar most of the time,doing the cleaning etc so sometimes the queue got quite long.Come 11pm and the free bar finished this was usually when the queue was it's biggest you never got your inclusive drink.We never got much hassle off the shop owners et al just the usual no thank you sufficed.

we went on the last day cruise at a cost of £110(2 adults and 1 child)all inc gulet trip and 'simple hotel'(dilek)on evening meal only.the bus was to arrive between 0010 and 0040 for a 0410 flight but this bus never turned up till gone 0115(our room at gular was given up at 0930and we had been up from 0600)we where taken to the feeder park to await the coach to transfer us to the airport,which turned up but never left till 0220.we was then informed about a 2 hour delay to the plane to manchester and arrived at a packed out airport.this delay went from 120minute delay to a 190 minute delay getting away at after 0700.we decided that we would let the train take the strain instead of driving and had booked the return home from manchester pic at 0911 to go back to hull,and missed it,although if it had stayed at 2 hours we would of been ok.we went to thomas cook desk for a letter of confirmation regarding the delay as we had missed our train to be told that they don't do them only for delays over 8 hours by an extremley rude and arrogant employee.i pointed out that we had left sufficient time to catch our train,her reply being that we should read the 'small print'it apparently says to leave at least 8 hours from returning to carrying on with your outward travel(i mean who wants to wait in train station for 8 hours).to cap it all some thieving to rag decided to rob the wires of the line near hull meaning the train terminated at selby where we was stranded after they fille a coach and 2 large minibuses for over an hour and half till we decided to make alternate arrangment to get home(this will be another complaint to tpe as well as thomas cooks)

whinge and moan over but after having no sleep since getting up a 6am saturday morning and now i will leave it at that and put in a better report re this hotel tomorrow

Kingston-upon-Hull...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Riveria Guler Resort

Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations