We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

southampton
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

am thinking of going to turkey end of september beginning of october, but cant decide which resort to go to, i like a sandy/shingle beach. In the evening i like karaoke bars or bars with live music etc, not really into the boom boom music as im over 50 now but do still like a boogie now and again. My idea is to stay in bitez and go into gumbet in the evenings, then maybe hire a scooter to get to places like turgetries. Just not sure if bitez will be too quite any suggestions would be more than welcome.thank you

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

I don't think Bitez would be too quiet for you if you are planning on going into Gumbet in the evenings. I have been there at that time of year and it is still busy enough.

Although if you want to spend you evenings in Gumbet why don't you think about staying there. It isn't as mad as during July and August. The beach is quite nice and you could go to Bitez in the day for a change.

Either way I am sure you would enjoy it and you can easily get into Bodrum from both resorts.

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

Bitez wins hands down for me.

We always go beginning of October you have Gumbet on your door step to visit for your boogie nights..!

They all start to unwind as it's near the end of the season a couple of hotels have karaoke and live shows if thats your thing.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

I agree with Kedi - why not stay in Gumbet if you intend going there in the evenings? No bars with live music as such but you can do karaoke to your hearts content - sounds as if Roy's Place or the Hotel Baba would suit you more than Mr Frogs.

I'm not into boom, boom music either and still find plenty to entertain me in Gumbet. I live there for half the year, like you am the wrong (better?) side of 50 and still enjoy a boogie and a good night out.

You could always go to Bitez during the day if you want - but the cost of a taxi to and from Bitez into Gumbet would soon start to add up. I think you may find Bitez a little too quiet at that time of year.

As for hiring a scooter to get to Turgetreis, etc - I really wouldn't advise it. I have a scooter in England but won't hire one in Gumbet, especially for driving on the main roads. I did tentatively mention getting one in Gumbet but all my Turkish friends said they would disown me if I did LOL!! Not to be disrespectful to Turkish people, they aren't the best drivers in the world - even they admit this as traffic lights, stop signs, driving on the right/wrong side of the road don't mean much to them!!!

Jak xx

philpeg1969
Level Contributor
338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

When staying in the area I feel Bodrum or bitez would suit you better. We are both not into the boom boom music now and gumbet is much like that . The more relaxed bars we found by the beach and away from bar street. Also plenty of nice bars in Bodrum in the town. Found one in centre that had live music most nights. Sorry can't remember name but not far from where the catamaran moors up.

philpeg1969
Level Contributor
338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

As for hiring a scoter in turkey. DONT DO iT!!! I class myself as a very careful and confident driver but I would never drive in turkey!!! Take the dolmus or take a coach trip if u wish to travel about. Not the safest place to drive about in.

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

Stay in Bitez & think of renting a car for a few days.We have never had a problem doing this.Happy holiday what ever you do.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

Janey, as you can see, you will get loads of differing opinions on here - that's what makes us all different and the world a better place LOL!!

We all seem to be agreed on one thing though - don't hire a scooter. We want you to have a safe holiday.

As for renting a car for a few days, that's a good idea as it will allow you to tour the peninsula at your leisure. However, if you want to have a drink when you visit Gumbet to have a boogie/karaoke, that wouldn't be any good for you either.

Hope you make the right choice.

Jak xx

southampton
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

still cant understand why people are so against scooters, we dont go mad at the end of the day we have 30 stone between us on a scooter so its not going to go very fast lol!!!

we just make the pot holes bigger! have scootered in thailand now thats an experience lol we bascically ride like an electric pushbike lol!! ive even been known to have to walk behind to get up the big hills!! i think gumbet maybe the place to be now do i go all inclusive or self catering i like my vodka and not sure how much that is going to cost me wont be able to handle it every nite but maybe a few nites!

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

Janey, İ'm not against scooters - İ have one of my own and love it. İt's just that İ have seen so many accidents that İ would hate you to spoil your holiday by having one. And it's not just me - all my Turkish friends have made me promise İ won't get one so that they don't have to worry about me.

The roads are not the best, the hills are big (you'd be walking a lot LOL). İt's your choice of course - and fuel is expensive although you wouldn't use that much on a scooter İ know.

As for all inclusive or self catering - Aİ in the area isn't the best unless you are paying top whack for it. Good Aİs in Gumbet are the WOW and the Royal Asarlik. As for vodka prices, my local bar Cheers charges 7 lira for a vodka and mixer (£2.80), that's an average price unless you're on Bar Street. On the beach they tend to charge 8 lira (£3.20). Mind you, in Cheers the measures are larger than on Bar Street. Also it would be a shame to miss out on some of the lovely Turkish food on offer - AIs do tend to be bland and repetitive.

I have to agree that Gumbet sounds as though it would suit you best. It's lively enough for when you want to get down and boogie but you can also have quiet evenings when you want.

Do let me know where and when you are going. I am back in England for a few weeks to see family and pay bills after being in Gumbet for 3 months. I go back to Gumbet in August for another 3 months so will look out for you on your scooter LOL!

Jak xx

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gumbet, bodrum, or bitez

If you choose Gumbet I would say go SC rather than AI. Unless you pay a lot for one of the decent AI hotels they really aren't very good and the food is always very repetative. You can however get some very good and very reasonably priced SC apartments, then you can go and eat out at all the lovely restaurants around.

Buy your vodka in duty free and you can have a drink on the balcony too ;-)

I too wouldn't recommend hiring a scooter. I'm not suggesting you wont be careful, more that Turkish drivers can be rather erratic and many holiday makers end up in scrapes. I lived in Gumbet for 3 years and I never had the courage to go on a scooter there :o

Dolmus is a brilliant way to travel, cheap, easy and fun, I much prefer that way of getting about.

Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations