We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been before. What do I expect

Manchester...
9 posts
Save Topic
Never been before. What do I expect

Hi, I'm going with fella and 2 kids. Is it a nice family resort. Staying at Parkim ayaz 2 weeks ai. Do the Turkish still hassle you? Any advice info very welcomed. Going on 28/5/2012

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

Yes it is a nice family resort, there are parts which are quite lively at night with noisy bars but these are easily avoidable. We have 2 young children and we find plenty of family friendly places to go to.

The Parkin Ayaz is a very nice hotel right on the beach. This year is the first time as AI so I don't know what the food is going to be like.

People often ask about hassle. Turkish people in the resort will call you to go into their restaurants of will show you things in shops, they will also try to talk to you as you wander about. I personally don't ever feel hassled by this but some people do. The best thing is just to be polite and say no thank you. Mainly the Turks are just very friendly though and they love children.

May is a lovely time to go, not too busy and not too hot.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

Great hotel in great spot right in the middle of the beach front with it's reception leading out into the town centre area.

Hassle?Hmm,some call it hassle others call it banter,depends on your mind set.Remember this is a holiday resort with only a 6 month season and people are there to make money and that most staff work only on commsion-no sale no money!Some are persisent but keep in mind they are just trying to earn a crust;this helps to keep it in perspective.Generally a no thanks is enough.

Last season there were a few reports of some not taking no for an answer and being abusive(probably due to the tourism being lower because of the economic problems in Europe).This is quite unacceptable and if you are unfortunate enough to experience it then do report the offender to the local council,they have an office in Gumbet.

It is no good people coming on here to rant about hassle if they don't do anything about reporting it whilst there.The offenders will carry on with the attitude"well no one has ever complained".

On the whole it is a nice town,big enough to have plenty to do but small enough to be friendly and safe.Buses to and from Bodrum run every 10 minutes almost 24/7.There are plenty of family friendly restaurant/bars in the town so you can go out at night as a family,plus Parkım usually has free evening entertainment laid on.Enjoy!

Manchester...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

Oh thank you very much. I don't mind people trying to talk to e bring friendly but someone had stated they pull touch and be rude. I was worried about that post however it was sometime ago. Could anyone tell me what pricing like for eating drinking out.

Thank you

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

Well, last year average prices for drinks were large beer (Efes) 5 lira, local spirit and mixer 7 lira, cocktail 10-14 lira. Don't know about this year's prices yet as the season hasn't started.

Eating out - well it can vary from cheap to pricey depending where you eat and what you eat. You can get some decent set price meals, fantastic cheap kebabs, etc. My advice is to look round - there are some great places a little out of town (01 Adana is fantastic if you want good Turkish food).

Jak xx

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

We have stayed at the Aarkim Ayaz twice in May,2008 and 2009 and loved the hotel BUT the noise from the nearby bars is dreadful.

They turn the music up to compete with each other and it goes on until 3am or later.The last time we were there the police were called as people complained about the volume of noise.

It surprised me as its the start of the season so make sure you ask for a quiet room.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

Opps,Meant to say Parkim Ayaz and it was 2009 and 2010 when we stayed.

philpeg1969
Level Contributor
394 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

We stayed at parkim ayaz 2010 & 2011. Both times we had superior rooms over looking the sea. We were never affected by noise. Great hotel highly reccomended

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

I think we will see a bit of a hike this year again on the drink prices.

Otantik Ocakbasi in Bodrum which is one of our favourite and best value for money Turkish restaurants were charging 10 lira for vodka and coke this week on their new menu.

We were given Winter menu prices though so will not know for sure 2012 prices till we visit again in April...!

9. Re: Never been before. What do I expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:30
Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations