We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Turkey

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Newbie to Turkey

Me and a few friends have an opportunity to go to Gumbet at a very good price in June. We usually holiday in Spain so this would be our first visit to Turkey. We have done lots of research and found ourselves here on this website, so a few questions to you regulars if you could help us please.

We are a group of 5 guys aged between 26 and 32, we like to party but we also like a bit of culture and like to experience how the country we visit lives. From what we have seen of Gumbet it looks like its all fish and chips and roast beef dinners. Are there any local places where we can sample traditional food etc?

The beach at Gumbet looks awful, are there any good beaches nearby?

The nightlife looks quite good but we cant find any up to date information as to what is available now. We have seen some pictures of Bar Street which looked like just what we want but they were a few years old and we hear things change every season. Does anyone know where we can find up to date information and pictures of what is happening this year?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Turkey

"Are there any local places where we can sample traditional food etc"? =

Yes lots. :-))

"The beach at Gumbet looks awful, are there any good beaches nearby"? =

Yes Bitez resort next door a few mins away in a cab. :-))

"but we also like a bit of culture" = book a trip to Ephesus. :-))

" up to date information and pictures of what is happening this year"? = Huge new bar just opened called " Pasha" along with lots of others in bar street ... X Bar.. Posh Bar.. to name a few just join them on F/B for your "up to date news. ;-))

Just a snippit of information to get you started..! and hey whats up with fish and chips on ya jollies??? Try Sue's Place you won't be dissapointed. ;-))

P.S. You will not want to go back to Spain you will all love Turkey..!!!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Turkey

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure we can answer your questions.

Gumbet is not all fish and chips and roast beef, I have been going there for years and have never eaten either there :-)

There are loads of places to eat traditional food, our favourite restaurant is called 01 Adana and is a little out of the main resort but anyone can durect you. They have wonderful Turkish food, very cheap. You can also try Seray Zetas and Bizim Ev (Our House), they do good tradional food. Most other restaurants have Turkish food on the menu too.

The beach isn't too bad, the middle part is not so good but the bits towards the edge of the bays are much nicer. If you look over to the right of this page you will see Top Questions about Gumbet, 4 questions down you will find information ona ll the good beaches, Bitez is the closest, just 5 minutes drive.

If you want some culture then yes, do go to Ephesus but also look round Bodrum castle. And if you want to see a little more of the local area jump on a dolmus (mini bus) to Bodrum 10 minutes away and then get any number of other dolmuses that go to the various resorts and villages around the Bodrum Peninsula.

Spain? Where's that? ;-)

Which hotel are you staying at?

Our other DE Jakki has been to Gumbet recently so she can tell you what there is in Bar Street this year. Bodrum is also great for nightlife and the dolmus run pretty much 24 hours a day 7 days a week during summer so you can easily get back after a night out

manchester
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
603 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Turkey

Get it booked you will love it. Like you have already been told there are lots of traditional Turkish Restaurants Last time we went to spain it was all fish and chips and roast beef dinners. . As for culture there is plenty to see and do. We have been going for many years but last year we decieded to Visit The Castle of St. Peter (Bodrum Castle) and I can highly recommend it. It is a fantastic place well worth the visit. The dolmus are fantastic you can travel all over. We have never only used the beach once as the apartments we stay in are beachfront. I would not as you have its not the best beach but I have seen a lot worse. What apartments have you been looking at ? The nightlife is brill wether you want to party the night away or have a relax night in one of the quiter bars the choice is yours.

Hope you chose Gumbet I am sure you will come to love it as much as we have xx

Janice xx

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Turkey

Wow, Gumbet a fish and chip and roast beef dinner resort? Well, if you want that sort of thing, you can get it (it amazes me the number of people who do) ..... but there's so much fantastic food on offer. Seray Zetas and Bizim Ev are good for traditional food (the amphora kebabs at Bizim Ev are to die for) as is Jack's Place. All these are in Gumbet itself but if you wander a little further back, there's lots of small places where you can eat traditional Turkish good in less "posh" surroundings and get some fantastic food.

If you want a good lunch, ask to be taken to the Kismet Lokantasi in Konacik - all the Turkish businessmen eat there. The dishes are behind a glass counter and you just choose what you want to eat and they bring it to you. It's so popular that they don't bother opening in the evenings as they make enough during the day!!!

As for culture, there's the castle, the amphitheatre, the mausoleum - all in Bodrum but if you want to get off the beaten track, get the bus to Derekoy and look at a little museum which is run by the ex-curator of Bodrum Castle. Only small but very interesting and the curator has loads of tales to tell.

The majority of bars on Bar Street have been refurbished this year - Central Bar (a long-standing favourite) is now Pasha, and others have been refurbished and are looking good. Bodrum offers great nightlife as well and if you want splash out a bit the Halikarnas nightclub has reopened this year after being closed last season.

Get yourselves there, you'll have a ball.

Jak xx

Weymouth
Level Contributor
679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Turkey

We always avoid the Fish & Chips, English Bars etc and go for the more local stuff. If Gumbet is anything like Marmaris (I expect it is) then you will be spoilt for choice.

As for culture there are loads of trips to do, but try to go with local operators. The holiday company trips tend to be more expensive as the reps use them to build up their pay with commission. This is especially so if you go on a boat trip (we recommend them highly if you want a tan and a dip in the fantastic clear Turkish waters) - we found in Marmaris that the boat trips were 2 to 3 times cheaper if you just went to the quayside and paid on the spot!! For example a trip booked with a Tour Company at £17 per adult we found to be £6 per adult if you paid at the quayside (and very often were the same operators).

You will enjoy Turkey and I suspect, like many of us, will go back time and time again.

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Turkey

We have never had a roast dinner in all the years we have been going (love the Turkish food too much) but have had fish and chips twice at Sues and they were absolutely delicious...!

When was the last time you visited Seray Zetas Jak ? Has the food improved?

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Turkey

Haven't been since early last year BB - I only tend to go there out of season as I think it suffers a little in the season when it gets busy. I may try it again this year if it doesn't look too busy as I have enjoyed the food there in the past - but as I said, I think its recent popularity didn't help the food quality.

Jak xx

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to Turkey

We went there late October and it was fine then but it was very quiet. Food was good.

britain
Destination Expert
for Bitez
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie to Turkey

Oooo you must let us know what it is like (our last two meals there were awful) so have not been back since..... we used to LOVE it there.

We heard there was a falling out with the owners (don't know if there is any truth in it though) and that is why there is a new one opening in Bodrum ...it was Ahmet we saw there last month .

We will have a meal there on our next visit we got excited when we saw the banner last month announcing its opening.!

10. Re: Newbie to Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations