We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant/Bar Situation

Which Gumbet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, England...
4 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant/Bar Situation

Hi, just heard the news about bars/restaurants closing down for 14/15 days... im part of a group of 13 lads coming down on the 2nd of july, im just wondering what the situation will be by then? Has every bar been shut? Whats the liklihood it will affect us when we arrive?

Cheers.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

Im no expert and ive only been using this forum for a few days but it a appears a few bars/restaurants have been closed down for a few weeks for soliciting or harrassing people in the street. Its seems like they have made an example of them to stop others doing it. Im sure the majority of bars and clubs will be open as usual.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

Nowhere near every bar has been shut - if they are shut, they are closed down for 15 days and then reopen. Don't worry, there will be loads for you to choose from - as of yesterday, Chinatown, Gumbet House and Caspars were closed plus a jewellers. They will all reopen around 20-24 June.

You really won't be affected - it's an attempt to stop the hassle (although a little heavy handed at the moment).

Jak xx

Sheffield, England...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

thanks very much for the info! x

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

who is is that closes them down?

the local police or tourist board etc?

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
439 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

I think it's the local police - Zabitas - Jakki will confirm

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

Yes, it is the Zabita, the tourist police.

They often do it at the beginning of the season to try to cut down on the hassling and make an example of a few places, alhtough it can happen any time. There are only a few closed though so there is nothing to worry about, most places are still open.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

its good to see they are taking the problem serious, from reading reviews and posts on here over the last week the biggest complaint bar far from reviews is being hassled by restaurant/pub/shop people.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

It seems to be the Zabita with local council backing. The rules have changed this year - they get one warning and are then closed down for 15 days. The trouble is they aren't always targeting the right people - Ocean Jewellery have been closed down and I've never seen them hassle, just greet old friends with a kiss and a hug.

Jak xx

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

I do love Gumbet and have been going for 9 years but when i go out with no intention of having a meal or a drink the harrassing can make it difficult to get around the place. I dont want to offend anyone by saying go away so it is hard. To be fair i quite like it when the workers come out and talk to you,its the agressive ones that make me nervous. Who doesnt like being called beautiful even if its a sales pitch? ;)x

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant/Bar Situation

james ,some of the bar/rest boys are very rude and mouthy,,,it used to be 3 and your out,,meening ,,,reported 1 time,told to be good 2 time fine 3 time closed for a set time,so menny weeks,,,,,,,looks like it could be a fun season in good old gumbet,,the boys get fed up when thay have no people at there places a lot wok on the a take of the nightly take,,,so no money no honey and the bad boys dont like the no honey bit lol. u soon shut them up with the G word better say no more the gumbet mafia dont like it,,,,we be there soon shud be some fun,,lol dont worry bodrum olny 10 minn away, by dolmus small bus that take u places bod ect so no probs bod is great you get no probs there its more up class,not to menn y bad boys there lol, have fun bye ps, BUT can be a pain for some people waning a q time when you get these idiots mouth of,, but....,,,

Edited: 13 June 2012, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Gumbet