We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport

Evesham, England...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
passport

hi,i just wondered if anyone knows or even has traveled to Turkey with European Union Identity card,instead of the passport?

i know that in EU zone you can definitely travel with this document,but not so sure if Turkey would be ok. by the way,we are going from UK.

Does anyone know, as friend of mine has booked a holiday to go to turkey,but she hasnt got a passport,only EU identity card.

thanks ;-)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport

I would have thought as it is outside of the EU she would need a valid passport.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport

She will need a full passport and will also need a visa stamp on entry in to Turkey.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport

This might be of help to you. I am married to EU passport holder, my daughter is also EU passport holder.I have EU identity card but I have a non EU passport . For me to enter Turkey, I must have a valid passport and apply to the Turkish Embassy for a Turkish visa.

There is another way you can enter Turkey, the person needs a shcengen visa on her passport. This is to fly to Istanbul on a Turkish Airline and apply for a visa at the point of entry.

Everything to my knowledge is done with passport. You can goggle the shcengen visa. Hope this will be of help.

Mentioned in this post
Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport

I think it depends on what country you're from, one time i entered turkey i happened to see a large group of (I think) spanish people entering with id cards only but at the same time saw a polish person turned away because she only had an ID card. I would advise contacting the turkish embassy and confirming with them, and if possible get an email or written confirmation of a positive reply so you can show the border police if they question it.

Sue

Edited: 29 June 2012, 22:04
Weymouth
Level Contributor
679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport

I would only ask one question 'Would you want to run the risk of your holiday being ruined/disrupted by the possible risk of not getting into the country with someone using anything other than a passport' The only problem is that if you ring/ask someone's advice that advice may change with another person - as you can see from the responses here.

I am a cautious person, and I know passports are expensive, but I wouldnt risk it. Turkey is outside the EU - and there are diplomatic incidents going on with Syria at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport

You will not be allowed to enter Turkey on an EU ID card without a valid passport no matter what country you are from.

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport

I found some more information that suggests that citizens of certain countries can enter Turkey via a number of border points using only an ID card

http://www.bodrum-info.org/airport/visa.htm

However I couldn't find an official link, as I said before I saw a large group entering via the ferry from Kos - Greece using only ID cards. The visa stamp is placed on a separate piece of paper which you have to guard with your life!

The citizens of Germany, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain, Italy, Malta, Switzerland and Greece can enter from the border gates determined by Turkey, namely, Turkey-Greece, Turkey-Bulgaria, Istanbul, Izmir, Canakkale, Mugla, Antalya, Içel, Hatay (Iskenderun) and Aydin sea ports, Istanbul Atatürk, Ankara Esenboga, Adana Sakirpasa, Antalya, Izmir A.Menderes, Mugla Dalaman, Kayseri Erkilet airports, with identity cards other than passports according to the "Agreement on the Travel of Individuals"

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malta
Malta
Europe
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport

You should advise your friend to get a passport as soon as possible, as she would be refused travel at the UK airport without one.

Also, in the terms and conditions of her booking it should mention passport and visa requirements for Turkey.

Have a read of the following.

www.worldtravelguide.net/turkey/passport-visa

And have a good holiday!

Edited: 01 July 2012, 22:53
Evesham, England...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport

Hi, I appreciate your concerns ,but when we booked our holidays with agency,we been told that you can travel with EU id,but afterwards i just heard all those different stories.we are lithuanians,but travelling from Uk.

so,we are not very sure now :-(

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport

100% certain you will not be allowed entry into Turkey with just a Lithuanian ID card travelling form the UK. As stated above you need a passport also.

Get answers to your questions about Gumbet