We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need good travel insurance

Which Gumbet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need good travel insurance

Hi all :) my sister is in a family of 5 travelling to turkey this summer. She is on a budget and needs a good insurance that will pay up straight away if in the worst case any of them have to go to hospital. Now having been to turkey lots of times in the past, I have seen lots of holiday makers hit with huge medical bills and had to claim it back once they get back to the UK. So can anyone recommend an insurance that just have you pay the access on the policy rather than pay the full bill and claim it back. Thanks ;)

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need good travel insurance

Not had this problem, very happy to say, but I think you will find the Insurance that requires full payment & then claim back once home, will be a Cheap Policy.

It is worth paying more for a good Policy, in the hope that it will not be needed, than go for the cheap option, to save money.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need good travel insurance

We have never had to claim for a big amount but my dad had to go to hospital last year in Bodrum and he was insured with Easyjet insurance. He only had to pay the excess and the insurance company paid the rest.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need good travel insurance

That is what you think would be the case, but some friends of mine who went to gumbet had a really cheap cover online, think it was just under £30 for a family of 4 and the man had the worst case I've ever seen of prickly heat and had to go a hospital or clinic for 5 days on the trot to be wrapped from head to toe in bandages with special cream on the skin also had to sit for 4 hours on a drip. He only had to pay the £50 access. Just asked him who the insurers were and he carnt remember.

I'm insured with Lloydstsb but luckily I've never had to make a claim so don't know how good they are. All the big travel agents tell you that you only pay the access with there travel insurance. But I know this is not the case as I've been going to turkey since I was a child for over 30years and I've seen so many cases of people having to use all their holiday money to pay medical bills. I think it depends on which hospital or clinic you go aswell to what they charge upfront, people have spoke about it before on this forum some time ago. Thanks for the reply ;)

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need good travel insurance

Thanks KediYavrusu, will have a look at their prices ;)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need good travel insurance

Can't help you as (touch wood) I've never had to claim, but I would read the policy in full before purchasing.

I've also read on moneysaving expert that some insuranes are now putting turkey as world wide, not Europe, which then pushes up the cost of the policay.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need good travel insurance

I have used Insure and Go and have had cause to use them when my partner was taken seriously ill while we were long-stay in Bodrum. We only had to pay the excess - the insurance took care of everything else, from all the scans and medication needed, to the stay in hospital to arranging an early flight home. Can't fault them!

Jak xx

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need good travel insurance

Hi jak, :)) I remember you saying this before and couldn't find the thread to see who you were insured with, had a look at insure and go and they are good prices with different types of cover and excess prices. Wasn't sure on their site if Turkey comes under Europe or worldwide. Have read some bad reviews on them aswell so not sure :(

What is the hospital that you went to jak ?? ;)

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need good travel insurance

We always use Insure & Go and they have paid out on the couple of small claims we made. I don't even have an excess on the policy we have.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need good travel insurance

Thanks Kedi ;) Think my sister is going to try insure and go but going to ring them instead of doing it online:)

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need good travel insurance

With Insure and Go, Turkey comes under Europe. The hospital used was the Bodrum Private Hospital - a fantastic hospital. We couldn't have asked for better treatment.

Jak xx

Get answers to your questions about Gumbet