We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks Getting Greedy

Wolverhampton...
14 posts
Save Topic
Turks Getting Greedy

I've been all over Turkey in the last five years and I thought I would share this from my recent trip to Gumbet/Bodrum.

The Turks appear to be trying to rip people with their beer prices. I lost count of the bars and clubs where I was asked to pay 8, 9 or even 12 lira for a bottle of efes. I just laughed in their faces and told them that if they wanted my custom then they must drop the price. In the end the most that I paid was 5 lira for my beer.

REMEMBER IF YOU PAY MORE THAN 5 LIRA FOR EFES THEN YOU ARE BEING FLEECED. ASK ABOUT THE BEER PRICE WHEN THEY TRY TO DRAG YOU INTO THE BAR AND REFUSE TO PAY THE INFLATED PRICES . THEY WILL SOON LOWER THEM

TRY IT AND SEE.

THERE WERE A FEW BARS SELLING EFES FOR 4 LIRA A PINT WHICH I LIKED A LOT

KEEP TURKISH BEER 5 LIRA

Edited: 21 May 2013, 05:13
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

Beer prices have increased due to high alcohol taxation not because anyone is getting greedy. You will find places that sell beer for 5 lira but they won't make a profit selling at those prices, it is sold at a low price in the hope you will buy other things while you are there which will make a profit.

Really you need to know what you are talking about before you post sweeping statements.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

I kind of agree with both of you - Kedi is right that the taxation on alcohol keeps increasing and so beer prices go up accordingly (this is a political thing - too complicated to go into here). Sadly, if prices keep rising in the resorts, people will start to look elsewhere for value for money - this will be a shame, businesses in Gumbet have been struggling over the past few years - fewer tourists, more AIs, higher rents, etc.

Also, Bodrum does tend to have higher prices than other parts of Turkey - a lot of wealthy Turks visit the Bodrum area and are used to paying those prices.

Jak xx

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

turks arent greedy..prices reflect the lovely taxes imposed on alcohol by the ruling government party ( AKP )

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

Not only is tax on all alcohol very high but certainly in Bodrum the rents are huge.For quite a small place they can pay 50-70,000 Euro's a year for rent.Considering the season is only 6 or 7 months they have to work hard to earn money just to meet this expense before they have even considered others such as electric,rates and wages.

Many businesses are family run,i.e. maybe two or three brothers together so the profits from the business has to support 2 or 3 families over 12 months.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

I can't see why people moan so much about prices,trips are very cheap in Turkey,eating out is too,sunbeds on the beach are much cheaper than anywhere else I've been,drinks may be a little dearer but they are only a fraction of the whole holiday.Turkey may be dearer than it used to be but it is still cheaper than staying in many other countries,even hiring a caravan in Cornwall can set you back 6 or 7 hundred pounds a week,no food included.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

I think you'll find that, if you were to travel around the UK, the price of a pint can vary quite a lot too... For example, my local in the North east is quite a bit cheaper than Newcastle city centre then prices are even higher in the South and Central london.

I think it's wrong to simply say the Turks are 'getting greedy'

Sel

stockport
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

I think Turkey is getting expensive when its touted as a cheap non euro destination and eating out is snt cheap either

Kusadasi, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

Dear Wulfgar,

I do not know where are you from but I am just curious if I can do the same thing in your country, go to a bar and bargain for beer price? I don`t think Turks are getting greedy, do you know that beer price in a supermarket in Turkey is almost 4 lira, so in the cheapest bar it must be 5 lira, in a night club or a bar it must be 10-15 tl, in a nicer, fancy places it can be even more expensive, but everywhere in the world you can find cheap places and more expensive places... Alcohol is not cheap in Turkey, and that`s it! Also, I do not think you can bargain about BEER PRICE anywhere in the world! Those Turks who reduced a beer price for you probably only because they did not want to make discussion with you. Turks may bargain for many things, but never this sort of things!!!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

Exactly. I can imagine the reaction you would get if you went into a pub in Wolverhampton and asked them to give you a beer for less than the normal price!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,837 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turks Getting Greedy

wulgar, at the following comparison for prices, the only thing you see that is more expensive in Bodrum than Wolverhampton is the price of gasoline. Everything else is cheaper in Bodrum: "http://tinyurl.com/kmhfbfs".

enigma...

Edited: 20 May 2013, 14:03
Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations