We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Helpful! ;-)

dublin
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Very Helpful! ;-)

Hi,

I was starting to slightly panic mainly due to scare mongering from others re;the prices of drink and eating out in Turkey. Then i came across this site and found it really helpful "Numbeo.com" Really put my mind at ease. Great info on it (0bviously to be taking with a pinch salt) but non the less it helps at least until someone puts up a comprehensive list of some of this seasons prices.

Only 6 more sleeps!

Tammy x

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

Have just had a look at the site Tammy. Have to say that last year in resort venues in June we never saw Efes at 3.47 a pint, cheapest was 4 lira in the more remote bars. The party bars were charging around 6 or 7. Bodrum was generally a little more expensive than Gumbet (in Kule Bar, the heavy rock place in Bodrum a pint of Efes was 10 lira). You can eat cheaply if you choose to in the kebab shops and cafes, lots of restaurants have offers and deals advertised. I don't think the prices are either very cheap or very expensive, these days we pay similar prices to home for eating and drinking and enjoy every minute. I don't think anyone is trying to scaremonger but rather make sure that folks have enough money to last their hols. Relax, you'll have a ball!!

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
dublin
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

I really am looking forward to it and have been several times, haven't been in 2 years though as last year we decided to head to Greece for a change. Whilst it was great it really hadn't a patch on Turkey. Maybe using the term Scarmongering was harsh but from reading some of the threads I did notice people commenting on How expensive everything has become. That been said a pint in Dublin at the min is 5euro so either way I'm onto a winner ;-)

Tammy

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

I think the Gumbet regulars are generalising on how prices have gone up over the years from when, several years ago, everything was cheap as chips in Turkey. Unfortunately it ain't that cheap any more but, so long as we know, we can budget accordingly and still had the fabbest time. Nowhere entertains me like Turkey does so it's worth every penny. Enjoy your hols x

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

I am in Bodrum at the moment. Staying in Gündoğan and have spent time in Yalıkavak and Bodrum centre.

When someone uses a term like 'expensive ' or ' cheap' it is totally according to their opinion and does not mean the same for everyone so I know what you mean that it is hard to know.

Bodrum has so many different places to eat and drink it really is hard to be precise but here is my experience.

I don't drink beer but have seen it on menus 5 TL -7 TL. We drink spirits and local gin / vodka is anything from 9TL to 15TL but the interesting thing this year is that some places are charging 14/15 TL for Gordon's or Smirnoff as well so there is no longer any saving to drinking Turkish spirits. We found the biggest hike this year to be on wine. Cheapest bottle we have had in any restaurant is 30TL with most around 50TL - 60TL. Also gone up a bit in supermarkets from what it was last year. Do ask the price before you order or ask for the menu so that you can decide - Turks expect you to ask the price as often they don't have menus / price lists for drink

Eating out really you can eat as cheaply as you want - we have had meals for two ( with wine ) from 70TL to 140TL so it depends. We also find the portions here very generous so often share a starter / main course / desert. For instance an amphora kepab ( casserole in a clay pot) for 2 is 70TL and for one person is 30TL but we found the one for 2 people to be way too much for us.

Turkish breakfast is around 12-15 TL and lunch depending on what you want around 10-20 TL.

We don't eat English breakfast but saw them advertised at around 8-12TL.

Dolmuş is still the best and cheapest way to travel around. the people are warm and friendly and the sun is shining so you will have a wonderful holiday I am sure.

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/…hi tammy a few places to eat in gumbet on here,, and ,some people give the prices of there meals . byel,

Edited: 11 June 2013, 19:04
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

Hi Tammy, we have eaten out every night when we are in Gumbet for the last 3 years, 3 adults 1 child and we have never paid more that 70TL for a meal inc starters and a drink.Just look at all the deals the restaurants are doing that night,always something on offer.

Have a great hoilday :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

Just back from Gumbet.. Don't drink much, only a few beers.. small Efes was around 5/6 TL and large 7/8 TL

We had lots of meals out.. most expensive was in Bodrum (marina) and was 80 TL for steaks and drinks (around £27).. Best value (and the nicest meals we had) was Windy Bay, our cheapest meal was from the set menu 45 TL for mixed grill and chicken fajitas inc drinks.. (around £15) that also included a free bottle of wine and tea/coffee!

Red Dragon Chinese buffet was good value at 25TL (£9)

Ate far too much food! :-)

Edited: 12 June 2013, 00:34
Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

like thay say ,map,,turkey,cheap no more , lol, i have met a few that have got houses out there ,and are saying its cheaper to live in the uk,now,,its ok for the 2 weeks but living there,is hard now,

Edited: 12 June 2013, 09:00
dublin
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

Getting very excited by it all now! By the sounds of things I may have to book 2 seats for the flight home, cause their going to have to roll me out of Gumbet!

3 more sleeps!

Tammy

10. Re: Very Helpful! ;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations