We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

Which Gumbet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

Sorry i know this isnt actually about gumbet but its my first time to turkey and i is weather related.

I am fair skinned and burn easily. I know i will need a high factor in august.

I also suffer with prickly heat and its often made worse and more irritated by sun cream. When i have used oil rather than cream it has always been better but they tend to come in pressurised aerosol cans and dont go very far.

I have been told that the once a days are best for prickly heat but i would be scared id burn with it been so hot? I tried calypso once a day in mexico last year but was scared i was burning so put my husbands cream over the top and got the worst prickly heat i have ever had and had to stay indoors for 2 days!

If anyone can give me any rcommendations anything is worth a try? I was told to take antihistamines for 2 weeks prior and whilst away and this had no effect either?

glasgow
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

I have the same problem as you. I've found the best for me is boots soltan once a day. It comes in quite high factors too.

I also find that going into the sea or pool frequently to keep cool helps because sweat on your skin can make the prickly heat worse.

The boots after sun gel is also better for me than the cream.

Antihistamine tablets can help with the itching too.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

Please ask a medical expert - your health is too important to rely on recommendations from strangers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

hi my granddaughter has eczma and suffers from pickly heat the best sun tan cream we have found for her is organic children from the green people, we bought 2 factor 25's and a aftersun for £25, not cheap, but the reviews are excellent, and it's a nice cream and rubs in well, I can highly recommend this for children.

they also do adults sun cream and it is also sold on amazon, and Lloyds chemist, I haven't used this, but a quick google search gives it excellent reviews so should be as good as the kids cream.

greenpeople.co.uk/organic-adult-sun-lotion-p…

Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

Thankyou for the replies.

I have consulted my gp several times they recommend antihistamins and keeping trying different sun creams until i find one that suits me then stick with it? Unfortunatley i havent yet found 1 that suits me?

I will look into the organic suncream sounds interesting and not heard about it.

The soltan once a day in a high factor do you find you are ok to just apply once? Im frightened i will burn because it will be so hot in august?

I have used the sun moouse range here used to be bergaderm and never burnt but i dont get prickly heat in england so its completley different.

A lot of people swear by ultra sun on qvc and amazon but its soo expensive and may not even suit me?

Suppose its trial and error just wondered what others had found effective?

glasgow
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

My gp always told me it was just a case of trying different ones til I found what suited me aswell.

I've been ok only applying the soltan once in the morning. But I make sure it's completely soaked in before I get dressed and go out. I've been fine like this in the summer heat of turkey and in Thailand.

I don't towel dry after swimming so as not to rub it off.

If you're concerned you could always apply it again halfway through the day to be extra careful?

Edited: 13 June 2013, 23:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

Hi I travel a lot to India and although I have a skin which tans easily I can still burn without the right protection - for me it's piz buin I use the once a day 30 factor but they do up to 50. I also take a normal piz buin spray to beach and top up which works fine for me.

As you suffer from prickly heat & boots soltan may be your choice use the once a day as OP says cover well and let it soak in but take a normal soltan to the beach to apply if you think you may be burning...

All the best

Boo

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

the green company also sell small samples which you can buy, to try 1st, which is what we did. x

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

I get prickly heat too and I used Simple Sun Sensitive suntan lotion and had no problem in Turkey two years ago. Very difficult to find in the shops but I've found it on it's available from Boots online and they deliver to a store for free too if you spend over £20. I occasionally find it on eBay too at a much cheaper price.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

I take one citrizine tablet a day in the morning starting a week before I go and continuing until I come home. I use Ambre Solaire Factor 50 for sensitive skin and use La Roche Posay shower gel ( recommended by my dermatologist as I have psoriasis ) and no other creams or perfume near my neck which is where I usef to get the prickly heat and have not had it now for years and I used to get it every holiday.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 15:42
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recommend a sun cream for prickly heat/fair skin

Im thinking i may try a cream for sensitvie skin then as this seems to have been effective for others snd with my fear of burning it would be fine to reapply and i can choose a high factor.

Thankyou for all the helpful replies i appreciate it

Get answers to your questions about Gumbet