We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jabs for Turkey???

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Jabs for Turkey???

Went the doc's today with my son he needed to get his jabs for China and was told you need them for Turkey too. Any advise on this would be great. I will get the kids theirs but i REALLY dont like needles. Is it important to have them or is there anyone who dont bother. personal preference i suppose but would like some points of view. Thanks

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

IMHO, if your doctor recommends them for you, then you would be foolish to ignore their advice.

Anonymous people on a forum are hardly qualified to give you better advice!

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Your practice nurse can advise you on what is recommended.It does sometimes change.some things are worth having like polio vac. you dont have a needle so you dont have to worry.polio is still a problem in turky.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

luddendenturk could you please tell me what IMHO means. I would just like peoples opinion on what they think about the injections if they have had them or not as someone may have had reactions to them. Also if i get advise from people who have had them first hand and find that they have no side affects then i will go ahead with them for the family.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Thanks for the reply turk0file. I will go and see her again and pic her brains abit lol. I asked the TA and they insisted that no vacinations were needed for Turkey it was just by chance of taking my son today as he goes to china soon that she mentioned Turkey too. lucky for us cos as i said i was told different by the TA. Again thanks

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Many Doctors and medical centres recommend the jabs because of guidelines given by the NHS, but most of these refer to certain areas in eastern Turkey, so ensure that whoever is advising you is fully aware of the contents of the guidelines, and make sure you explain the location you will be visiting.

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Hi alsbaby.the jabs for Turkey arnt essential but they are reccomended.Its only once every few years so we think better safe than sorry.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Thanks for the replies guys, Could you please let me know what part of Turkey Torba is? First time to Turkey and have not got a clue lol. Thanks again

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Torba is on the Bodrum peninsula - the south-west of Turkey, the Aegean sea lapping its shores. It's well away from the eastern parts of Turkey where it is advisable to have these jabs.

Hep B is transmitted via infected blood or bodily fluids. You MAY be exposed when receiving medical or dental treatment, via direct contact between open skin lesions or if participating in risk behaviour such as needle sharing, unprotected sex or contact sports. You will have to decide if any of these are likely in your case.

It really is a decision for you to make - my decision was not to have the Hep B vaccine for my time in Turkey. To be honest, it is my opinion that the vast majority of holidaymakers visiting Turkey do not have the vaccination prior to travel.

Hope this has helped in some way - good luck with making your decision.

Jak xx

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

Thanks Jak. My son got the hep B and A today for a holiday he is taking with the school so he will be covered for Turkey anyway but as you have just explained i really dont see how my son would need HEP B jab but it was advised so i just went with it. Oh and thanks for letting me know what part of Turkey i am traveling to lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jabs for Turkey???

We are Turkish living in London and our Turkish paediatrician here recomnends my young children to have Hep B or even the combined Hep vaccination for them when traveling to Turkey. I traveled with the older one many times to Turkey (22 months) without the jabs but will probably take his advice with both before going again but that's my parental choice, they are not compulsary. He said Hep B is not as common in Turkey as it used to be but still a good idea for children who travel abroad a lot. You should consider your health provider's advice and decide for yourself.

Get answers to your questions about Torba
Recent Conversations