We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
273 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
What's Turgutreis like

Hi all experts there, I just wondered what Turgutreis is like. We were recomended to go by our local kebab shop owner who found us a great hotel in Marmaris, he said you must visit Turgutreis. Can you get there on a trip from Marmaris? If it is really good we might go there next year, we went to Turunc on the recomendation of lots of people from this site and it was brilliant so I value folk's opinions on this site alot. PS We are a laid back couple the wrong side of 50, like relaxing but still like a bit of 'life' not pipe and slippers yet! Cheers

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Turgutreis like

Turgutreis is a lovely little town and is a real,traditional,working town rather than just a purpose built resort.Unfortunately it isn’t practical to visit as a day trip from Marmaris.It takess around 4 hours by car and by bus even longer as it involves 2 changes of bus.

To stay there you would fly into Bodrum airport and the transfer is roughly an hour.There is plenty of accomodation of all types,nice little B&B’s,decent quality A.I.’s and some very nice S/C apartments too.

It isn’t a place that attracts gangs of rowdies or chavs but does have plenty of nice bars and restaurants to choose from-many with wonderful seaside sunset views on offer!I would also say that on the whole it is pretty ‘hassle’ free too.Bus links to Bodrum(40 minutes)and other places around the peninsula are good,frequent and cheap.

There are boat trips and other excursions too, plus you can take the ferry from the town over to Kos for a day out if you want.On Saturday there is a huge street market,the largest in the area and good fun☺

The sea front is a lovely place to stroll and has had a lot of money spent on it and the beach is excellent quality and broad too.

Local DE,Suehami, lives just outside the town and can give you a lot more detailed info if it sounds your cup of tea.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
273 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Turgutreis like

Cheers sounds just the job. We'll not go from Marmaris but will spend a week there instead.

Wakefield. UK
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Turgutreis like

I think you will be better off in Turgetreis rather than Marmaris.

We too, are on the wrong side of 50, and think Marmaris is too rowdy.

Anywhere on the Bodrum peninsular is great. - Yalikavak, Bitez, Ortakent to name but a few.

We love it there.

surrey
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Turgutreis like

Hi wellsick, I am not an expert but am also on the wrong side of 50 so feel qualified enough to add my two pennorth! We were lucky enough to choose Turgutreis as our first holiday to Turkey. We are absolutely hooked and intend to visit again next year for the third consecutive year. We have never met friendlier people anywhere. Trust me, a week wont be long enough!!!!

Sari has summed up Turgutreis beautifully and it was she and Suehami who gave such good advice that made our holiday even richer. ;o))

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Turgutreis like

wellsick We also on the wrong side of 50 First time to Turgetries this year at the La Blanche. Out of the 15 allinclusives we have been to the best by far and the area simply stunning

fussy is correct

Roger

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Turgutreis like

I have to agree with mikenmarn, it sounds lke Turgutreis would be more your choice than Marmaris. It certainly isn't a pipe and slippers places, there is plenty to do but Marmaris is very busy and lively. If you haven't booked your Marmaris holiday yet I would say look at Turgutreis first.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Turgutreis like

And to add my two pennorth, (Hiya All, said I would be around)

Turgutreis is a wonderful spot for a holiday, friendly, clean, enough nightlife to suit any age group, excellent Saturday market, (where you can spend a few hours haggling) lovely harbour to take boat trips, and a really good transport system to take you further afield to some other glorious little towns and villages.

Easy walking, and the sunsets, well..................Oh Boy!!!! Some excellent hotels and apartments, and the overall warmth and friendliness of the place is first class.

I have heard very very few negatives regarding Treis, so, Go On, you will not be disappointed.

DLV x

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Turgutreis like

Great, I've now found my destination for 2012 (though back to Dalyan for the 3rd time next year)! I've been looking for a new resort to stay in with my family, having been to Ovacik, Olu Deniz, Hisaronu and Altinkum.

Turgutreis sounds ideal and hoping there won't be as much "hassle" as we found in Hisaronu this year (sometimes even with a polite no and a smile we got hassled by a few OTT door staff).

It's always nice to be near a marina too. I'll be reading the updates and tips on Turgutreis from now on with even more interest than usual, so will be researching self-catering apartments and villas.

UK
Level Contributor
538 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Turgutreis like

Don't forget you can also choose to stay in one of the smaller places just outside of Turg. and catch a dolmus in/out to Turg. Depends whether you want to be always in a seaside town where the 'action' is or perhaps stay 20 mins outside the town in a quieter tourist area - having the best of both worlds but needing to catch the great network of dolmus' into Turg.

We prefer the choice of both and stay further out (popping into Turg when we need it) and many people we meet like this too, but there are always some that are shocked how quiet it is and wish they had stayed right in Turgutries. So with that in mind I would suggest spending some time to search the archives on here for reviews on hotels etc until you find one that sounds your cup of tea (or coffee!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's Turgutreis like

Mrs Teapot, that's really helpful advice and I know that this is exactly my dilemma. We really love Dalyan as you can take or leave the bars and restaurants and it's not "too much in your face". We found Hisaronu a bit too hectic but it also had a great selection of everything.

From what I've read about Turgutreis, we can be very close walking distance to the harbour, shops etc (10 minutes maximum walk is what we are looking for in a self-catered apartment or villa) and somewhere we don't need to hire a car either. Don't really want to get a dolmus in the evening for a meal but would like access to them for exploring during the day.

I'm hoping Turgutreis is more like Dalyan than Hisaronu. Our children will be 14 and 13 when we go, they are very relaxed but also like to people watch in the evening!!! Do you think Turgutreis might suit us? Many thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Turgutreis
Recent Conversations
More Turgutreis Topics