We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Valley Forge...
Level Contributor
46 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Hi we have stayed in Waves for the last 5 years and loved it except for the ocean conditions. It's extremely rough up there. I get that the weather is usually a factor but it never seemed to make a difference what the weather was or the time of year, it always seems to be dangerous.

So now we are looking at other areas in OBX. We have been to Avon but not the beaches. We are looking for someplace with nice beaches where we don't have to be on constant alert, ready to run in and pull a kid back in.

We are used to the ocean at the NJ beaches. Usually very little undertow and life guards everywhere.

What do you guys think of the beaches/ocean in Avon? IS it like Waves or more like NJ? Are there life guards on duty?

Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Further south in NC has gentler beaches.

Valley Forge...
Level Contributor
46 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Thanks, do you have a village in mind? Looks like Buxton, Frisco or Hatteras are south of Avon.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Not on the OBX. Go down to Emerald Isle, maybe Topsail, the Brunswick County Beaches (Holden, Ocean Isle, Sunset), etc. The OBX beaches are known to have wilder surf. That's why the surfers, kite boarders, and other wave enthusiasts like it so much. Beautiful place, just wilder there.

Valley Forge...
Level Contributor
46 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

This is great information. We have heard of emerald island, we're going to check it out now! Thanks!!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Waves to Avon to Nags Head to the north are all pretty similar and conditions can change in a week, so to predict it months ahead is just guessing. Sand comes and goes and you can have a drop off today and none next week. If you want lots of lifeguards go to South Nags Head with their wide beaches.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Very few lifeguards at Emerald Isle except at the main public beach access areas. At other than the main public accesses, they cruise up and down the beach occasionally on 4 wheelers.

The surf compares to the OBX. Depends on the weather, tides, storms out (way out) in the ocean and can change from day to day.

Edited: 13 March 2015, 13:33
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

I think the surf is gentler at Emerald Isle since it's a south-facing beach—sometimes it's just glassy, but sometimes it kicks up. That's just the way it goes. You can look it up on the surfer reports and compare Avon or Buxton vs Emerald Isle over time. Right now Emerald Isle is showing as choppy 1-2 ft waves and Avon is showing 2-3 ft waves. Here are a couple of links:

Emerald Isle: surfline.com/surf-report/…

Emerald Isle: swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/emerald-isle-nor…

Avon: surfline.com/surf-report/…

Buxton: swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/buxton-north-car…

Rodanthe: swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/rodanthe-north-c…

You can go further south and find gentler beaches. Here's a surf forecast for Holden Beach below Wilmington:

swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/holden-beach-nor…

I don't know much about lifeguards. I never went to a lifeguarded beach growing up so it's not a thing I'm greatly concerned with. I just have always watched my kids myself. It just doesn't figure in my plans for a beach vacation at all and I rarely notice whether there is one or not so I couldn't tell you from experience which beaches have them. I'd just have to look that info up same as you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

One nice thing about being in the Frisco (southerly facing) - Buxton (northerly facing) area is you can go north or south of the point to find quieter waves or bigger swells depending on what you are looking for.

Valley Forge...
Level Contributor
46 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

Thanks everyone.

I know the conditions vary by season and day to day, and beach erosion is a factor, but some beaches seem to fair better than others. For instance Ocean City in NJ has a short beach but it extends way out where you can walk around 50 yards before having to swim, depending on the tide it could be even further and even in stormy conditions I felt comfortable. In Ocean City MD the beach does not extend very far and the waves crash on you, similarly to Waves NC but not quite as violently.

We can live without the lifeguard stands. I really think Waves could use them and NJ can lose them.

I think we’re going to give the beaches in Southern NC that you guys have mentioned a shot. The search is on for a vacation rental that will let us bring our dog .

Thanks again!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean in Avon vs Waves vs NJ

For a super wide, generally gentle (depending on weather and other factors) beach, I really like the southernmost beaches in NC in Brunswick County. It would be a little bit further away for you, but might be what you're looking for. Check out http://www.visitbrunswickbeaches.com for some pictures.

If you do want to try them out stick to the middle or the western ends of the islands. Some of the eastern ends have had some issues with erosion. Do note that some of the beaches, particularly Sunset, have very wide dunes and your oceanfront cottage is not really right on the ocean, but back behind about 200 yards of dunes. They generally have nice boardwalks over the dunes. You can switch google maps to satellite view and see it for yourself. (Remember that some of the satellite photos were taken at high tide and some at low tide, but you can get an idea of what the beaches look like.)