We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Suggestions for Nice Walks/Hikes

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Need Suggestions for Nice Walks/Hikes

I will be making my first visit to Akron during Christmas week. I like to take scenic walks or hikes if the weather allows. I will be in the Fairlawn area but will have a car. I may walk/hike alone, moderate to slightly strenuous is OK and for this trip, prefer to keep distance under 5-6 miles round trip. I checked out the website for Cuyahoga Valley NP, looks like lots of great trails; any specific trail suggestions? Can you generally hike CVNP in December (I'm not use to snow, but I like it)? Is biking possible? Any place to rent a bike? The Scenic Train ride looks great but the schedule I saw online is only weekends and I will be there during the week; are there other trains? Thanks for helping a Virginia hiker.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Suggestions for Nice Walks/Hikes

Go to this link :

www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/Explore/Hike.aspx

and this one:

www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/Explore/Bike.aspx

Maybe Erniesbikeshop.com in North Canton has rentals? Not sure!

This is the national park service site and might also be very useful. We love hiking short distances on the towpath.

nps.gov/cuva/ohio-and-erie-canal-towpath-tra… here.

We like the town of Peninsula (www.explorepeninsula.com) and they should have a bike rental place (open inwinter...I don't know). A funky place to eat there is the Winking Lizard.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Suggestions for Nice Walks/Hikes

You can also hike in the virginia kendell ledges park which is located in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park - see www.hikingohioparks.com

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Suggestions for Nice Walks/Hikes

Thanks to both of you for the information (great sites)...I'm still checking out the sites. It's easy to see that I will have to return in the Spring with my bike and several days to hike, bike and ride the train. I'm going to shoot for a section of the Tow Path and The Ledges. Thanks again and happy trails.

4. Re: Need Suggestions for Nice Walks/Hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 21:27
Get answers to your questions about Akron