We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature differences

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Temperature differences

We are heading to the Oregon Coast . Starting at Fort Stevens St Park and the going south to SouthBeach St. park and then down to Florence to Jessie Honeymoon. I didnt realize that the average tempetatures on the Coast are not that warm. We have had a terrible Summer so far and i would like to enjoy some warm sun. How far inland or East do you need to go from the Coast to find warmer temperatures?

When we are there and if its too cold I will cancel a reservation and try to find accomodation somewhere inland.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
10 replies to this topic
white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature differences

OOps that post was supposed to be in the Oregon thread and not the Albany.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature differences

I have a friend that lives in Victoria and we are always comparing weather. I was surprised at first to learn their weather is VERY similar to ours, year-round!

GENERALLY speaking, you don't have to go very far inland to notice a significant difference in the temperature. Honeyman State Park, for example, is1.5 miles inland from the ocean and is usually several (5º or more) degrees warmer than say a South Beach, that sits just over a dune from the ocean. Even further inland, 4 miles or more, there can be as much as 20º difference! It really depends on the topography of the particular area as to how far inland you need to go to warm up.

Like, you, our weather has been pretty terrible for longer than I can remember, so truely, all bets are off.

Mentioned in this post
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature differences

You might consider the Columbia River Gorge. With all the waterfalls and lakes and rivers, it may do better for you. At least it's warmer.. usually. Weird weather this year.

min

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature differences

Been weird weather for about three years :-(

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature differences

We just spent a week atthe coast over the 4th. Weather was good most days, though a few morns it was overcast. On two of the overcast days we went to Toledo to golf. Sunny there, But i knew that grew up in Toledo and that was often the case sunny in Toledo, foggy at the coast.

By the way if anyone follows my threads. I just said on one thread I grew up around Heppner, here I say Toledo. both are true. I spent summers around Heppner. School in Toledo.

Mentioned in this post
Heppner
Heppner
Oregon
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature differences

In the most general way, you’ll find climate in Washington and Oregon to be apx. the same as BC., both in precipitation and temp. As you go south it may be marginally warmer and dryer, but only marginally until you get into California.

As you go east, its like going east in BC. The coast (the real coast, beside the ocean) is wetter and chillier. Inland a bit, like in the Willamette Valley, its a bit warmer and dryer like White Rock. And if you go east of the Cascades, like at Bend, its much warmer and drier, similar to the Okanagan.

This year is unusual … the year with no summer to date, but who can predict. Usually when the early part of summer is wet and chilly, the later part is dryer. But I rembember one summer in the mid to late 70’s in Seattle and Vancouver when we had 40 consecutive days of rain and everyone was talking about Noah's ark.

I just looked at the Accuweather long range forecast for Seattle. The next 14 days are predicted to be in a regime similar to the last 14 days, though gradually a bit warmer and sunnier.

Edited: 16 July 2011, 00:39
Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Kelowna
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature differences

Elbegewa is bang on with his comments. We head down to Oregon from BC every year ( I grew up in White Rock but now live in Kelowna) at the beginning of August. The temperature/weather on the Mid/Northern Oregon coast is going to be quite a bit colder than various places around Portland/Salem/etc...

Last year in August we spent four nights at Fort Stevens and it was like I was in Tofino during mid spring. It was cold, wet, and windy! The locals were saying that they were having an abnormally cold/wet summer. Based on what our summer has been this year, I would expect Astoria would be very similar to what you guys are getting on the coast. As for Florence, the temperature might be slightly warmer than Astoria but you will probably get very similar weather patterns.

We always spend the first half of our trip on the coast and then finish off inland. We stay at state park about 10 minute off the I-5. It is called Champoeg State Park. It is a very handy state park because It's about a 15 minute drive to the Woodburn outlets and about a 30 minute drive to Washington square. Which makes it great for our shopping days. The temperatures here are usually anywhere from 15-25 degree F above the coast temperatures. The state park has a disc golf course which allows me and my wife a few rounds of competitive fun, while getting some exercise.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.

Edited: 16 July 2011, 06:05
Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Washington
Washington
United States
white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperature differences

Thank you for the info. Today it is pouring rain here, and looks and feels like a typical November Day. Horrid.

I think we will go to Ft. Stevens and see what the weather is like and if its cold, I will cancel our Southbeach resevations and Jessie Honeymoon and go inland. We dont leave till the end of July so we still have a couple of weeks so Im crossing my fingers.

Do you have any other suggestions for nice campgrounds inland?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperature differences

About going inland....

It's raining in the Willamette Valley. Unbelievable for mid-July! We're suppoised to go to the Eugene Symphony concert in Cuthbert Amphitheatre this evening, but the idea of trudging almost a mile (because construction work has the main road past Autzen Stadium closed and the detour goes right by the Cuthbert parking lot) and then spreading a blanket on wet grass and sitting in the rain (umbrellas not allowed) just doesn't sound like fun to us.

Maybe, the sun will come out later, but this year I wouldn't be surprised to see a hail storm.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperature differences

>> Today it is pouring rain here, and looks and feels like a typical November Day. Horrid.<<

Where are you? If you're on the Oregon coast, it's not *nearly* as cold as we get in November! It rained Friday night and some this morning.

bellini, here are the Portland TV weather stations so you can see what is going on in other parts of the state:

www.koinlocal6.com/weather/default.aspx

http://www.katu.com/weather

http://www.kgw.com/weather/

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Reply to: Temperature differences
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albany