We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

Vancouver
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

We're looking for a motel/hotel suitable to families that might be kind of fun. I realize not too fun but I was hoping for suggestions along our route through Washington to Arch Cape, Or. Maybe somewhere between Chehalis and Seaside? (I have no idea what's on this route so sorry if this question is rediculous). PS Clean or new is always good

Ocean Point Inn & Spa
Ocean Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Arch Cape
Arch Cape Inn & Retreat
Arch Cape Inn & Retreat
#1 of 1 hotels in Arch Cape
The Inn at Arch Cape
The Inn at Arch Cape
#2 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Arch Cape
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

What kind of fun?

What ages?

Are you interested in Olympic National Park, Mt. Rainier NP, Mt. St. Helens, or other places, or is this drive direct, more or less, to Arch Cape?

Are you coming from Vancouver? If so, how many hours do you want to drive? For example, you could make Seaside in a day. That's about

Mapquest says:

Vancouver, BC

To

Seaside, OR

Total Estimated Time: 6.0 hours 5 minutes

Total Estimated Distance: 337 miles

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

Yes, which route are you taking?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

I'm guessing because you say between Chehalis and Seaside that you plan to drive west along the Columbia River. Not much along the WA side (Hwy 4) until you get to Long Beach, The Breakers or the Edgewater Inn are possibilities, but they are not new.

The Oregon side of the river is a better drive along Hwy 30. Clatskanie has a new motel right on the Clatskanie river. Clatskanie River Inn www.clatskanie.com/riverinn. There is also the Holiday Inn Express and the Comfort Suites in Astoria. Both are right along the Columbia River.

A fun drive along the river is to take Hwy 4 from Longview, WA to Cathlamet, then cross the river on the Westport Ferry. Runs every half hour between Cathlamet WA and Westport, OR.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
Washington
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Clatskanie River Inn
Clatskanie River Inn
64 Reviews
Clatskanie, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Warmland Vancouver...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

this sounds like the road trip I am planning with my sister and my 6 & 11 yr olds. We would like to go for about 3-4 days from Vancouver on a semi budget. One of us is a vegatarian and all of us eat organic. My son loves to skate board. Not interested in Sea Aquariums. Just walks and checking out different things. We plan to go in the month of July. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Level Contributor
37,779 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

There is a skate park at Tapiola Park in Astoria, where the outdoor pool used to be before they moved to the Aquatic Center. Both the Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Suites are on the trolley run, also. The HIE has an indoor pool which is always nice.

We love the coastal town of Seaview in WA, 42 Street Cafe and The Depot are a couple of our favorites in this area. Ilwaco has a nice waterfront area for strolling with some shops and even a day spa. The Port Bistro is very good here for a meal, pretty views of the marina and great food.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

For happy4:

This site lists several skate parks along the way: dreamlandskateparks.com/battlegrounds4.html

Our skatepark in Battle Ground is very popular. Battle Ground is about 30 minutes north of Portland, 15 minutes from I-5.

Cannon Beach also has a small skate park.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

There is a new Great Wolf Lodge and Waterpark at Grand Mound (4 miles north of Centralia/Chehalis)right next to I-5 at Exit 88. It's part of an East Coast chain, this is the only one on the West Coast.

Our kids live nearby and have had friends stay there, they thought it was pretty neat. The rooms are a little spendy, but the price includes passes to the waterpark for all the members of your group. Waterpark is only open to lodge guests.

Another option is the Clatskanie River Inn at Clatskanie OR on Hwy 30 about halfway between Kelso/Longview I-5 exit and Astoria. Just a couple of years old, looks very nice, beside the Clatskanie River.

Mentioned in this post
Clatskanie River Inn
Clatskanie River Inn
64 Reviews
Clatskanie, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

happy4 - I am vegan if you need dining suggestions in Astoria - Seaside let me know.

Two of my favorites are Blue Scorcher Bakery (food is ok but baked goods are excellent) All Organic. Next door Fort George Brewery is open for lunch and dinner most days (I think they may be closed Mondays, check online to be sure), mostly organic and two excellent vegetarian meals, plus salads and of course burgers etc. All meals I have eaten there have been excellent.

Seaside's Tora Nori Sushi bar has a vegetarian menu!

Those are my favs. Every place I have visited is willing to work with dietary concerns, so even Seafood places often have a pasta dish that could be done without the seafood, with some great bread and a side salad .. it would be an easy option at pretty much anywhere you want to go.

This would be a great option for places like The Cannery Cafe or Silver Salmon two places with a wide variety of seafood options.

There is an Organic Section in the Astoria Safeway and at Fred Meyer in Warrenton. Astoria also has a Local Co-op (as local and organic as possible) as well as Columbia Fruit and Produce (all local growers, some organic). Gearhart has an Organic Market as well it is right on the hwy at the only light.

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Warmland Vancouver...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

Thanks everyone for all the great infor! we have decided to go on the CoHo and arrive in Port Angeles then drive down to Seaside anything we should not miss w/ the kids?

thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Level Contributor
37,779 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southern Washington, Northern Oregon

The kids will love Seaside, there is a small aquarium there on the prom they may enjoy and a fun carousel mall that is enclosed. www.seasideor.com is a nice website for the area. :)

Get answers to your questions about Arch Cape