We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

ashland oregon
1 post
Save Topic
B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

���he following inns/B&B's are no longer in operation in Ashland, Oregon -

Antique Rose

Ashland Patterson House

Ashberry Inn

Daniels Roost

Fox House

Grapevine Inn

Laurel Street Inn

Lithia Rose

Pedigrift House

Summer Place Inn

Wolfe Manor Inn

Level Contributor
35,452 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

Did they all close at once? What's the deal? :)

Lafayette
Level Contributor
29 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

I spoke with the owner of one B&B when she was actively looking for a seller and thus warned me, fairly, that I needed a backup in case she did sell.

The economic doldrums of mid 1999-2002 hit the Ashland B&b industry hard. While "high season" it is difficult to find a good accomodation, winter from October-April it is very difficult for them to keep a acceptable level of occupancy. So, you need lots of staff during high season and a skeleton during fall/winter/early spring, which makes keeping good a staff a HUGE problem.

Then the real estate values have been shooting through the roof in Ashland as many people are selling out in, to be brutally honest, California and just throwing money from their million dollar + home sales into Ashland real estate. While this may seem like a hysterical witch hunt statement, she said if you bought your property in the 80's, you could give up the stress, the B&B would be gutted and turned into a private, close to town home for a newly minted Ashland immigrant.

This was independently verified by friends, who moved from Palo Alto to Ashland in the late 80's.....they were urging us to buy and rent out a home in Ashland if we were really considering it as our place of retirement, predicting in 15 years when we retired (around 2030) alot of the properties/lots would be priced out of our reach by way prices have been escalating.

Its one theory, at least why B&Bs were dropping like flies in 2002-2004.

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
354 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

So where are the former Ashland B&B owners moving to?

San Miguel de...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. That's where this former Ashland B&B (Laurel Street Inn) owner is living. I miss Ashland and visit as often as I can, now as a tourist. But I love living in Mexico!

ashland oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

I was wondering if any of the new bed and breakfasts are owned by the former owners of these closed B&B's

Lafayette
Level Contributor
29 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B's no longer operating in Ashland, Oregon

Not that I am aware of. San Miguel Senora might know of some that sold and moved on to another.

It is grueling work - 7 days a week, lots of email and phone communication, plus leaving it for your own vacation is a hassle.

I know one set of former Ashland B&B owners who became "Inn Sitters" and are very happily traveling the country, managing people's inns so that the FT owner can take vacations.