We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

carbondale, co
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Have a daughter interested in SOU....coming from the area in Colorado around Aspen/Glenwood Springs. Can anyone comment about this school, the community as a whole, etc? There isn't much about this school in any of the college info books, and we are not familiar with the area. We are planning to come and visit in mid-August. Thanks for any help.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Does she know what she is majoring in? I think that it's important to know if any college is ahead in the field in which your child wants to study. SOU has a pretty good nursing program. But for other majors, say like political science, I would skip it.

I personally like the Ashland area. It's a growing community with alot of transplants from California. My suspision is that the small town feel that it always had will be gone within the next 5-10 years. Ashland is well-known for it's Shakespere Festival, which is a pretty big deal. It also has a well-developed artsy community, which is why I enjoy it.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Sometimes Wikipedia can be very helpful. Don't know about this lengthy article's accuracy about town and gown, however, see this:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Oregon_Universi…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
129 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

My sister just graduated from SOU and loved it. She was sad to leave. My impression of Ashland is that it is a nice, small community (but not too small) that seems to be open minded. As a previous poster mented, it has a strong art-based, theater community. See Oregon Shakespear Festival.

It seems that there is a mix of residents in Ashland - college students and transplants (retirees) from the California bay area. Housing prices have gone through the roof in the little town due to the latter.

We were just there a few weeks ago for her graduation and were surprised that the whole downtown area seemed to shut down at 9pm on a Friday night. Kinda strange for a college town. I think as long as your daughter is not looking for a party school/huge football games/drinking parties, she will like SOU!

carbondale, co
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Thanks for your help....actually, she is a kid who is definitely NOT looking for the party type school, so she will be relieved to hear what you had to say. We are also from a small area which is growing by leaps and bounds and lots of retirees/second homeowners.

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Soccermon,

I am also looking at Oregon schools with my daughter and SOU is high on her list. Did you know about the WUE tuition program for western states? As a CO resident your daughter could potentially pay 150% of instate tuition instead of the much higher out of state rates. Be sure to look it up (Western University Exchange) and ask about it at SOU. We learned about it from a WOU rep at our high school....all Oregon public schools participate from what we were told.

Salem, OR
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

This school is not respected very much academically here in Oregon. It has been swimming in debt. They have cut a lot of faculty, as well as their honors program. There is also high drug use in the area. It is a nice smaller type town, but looks like everyone there is living in the 60's. I think there are worse places, but this would not be the top pick if you are looking for something intensely academic. We were not impressed.

Norah

Salem, OR

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Wow thank you for the insight! I have found there is nothing like local opinion when looking at out of state schools. I really appreciate this information!

Opinions on Linfield and George Fox? We looked at those and they are currently her first two choices, in that order. She wants a small liberal arts school, probably majoring in psychology. She didn't like the intensity of Lewis and Clark, even though I loved it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

I graduated from the Linfield Adult Degree Programs. Profs are liberal but quite good. And with me being very conservative, they graded on content in context rather than their own personal views, which was refreshing. It was excellent education. And the same profs teach at the college as well as ADE.

My sister went to SOU for 6 years and got her Master's there. She really enjoyed it. It is well set up for single parents there, or parents in general. Lots of wonderful parks and cute little shops and restaurants. It is not as liberal as Eugene but very close. So depends what your views on life and politics, religion are.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

Just to mention my sister graduated in Psychology. Mine was Sociology (I could have easily done Psych instead). So Both programs are very good.

For graduating.

SOU- internship senior year (and I think a small paper)

Linfield- research paper / study minimum 30 pages. Last two terms of senior year.

These are in addition to regular class requirements, and major class requirements.

10. Re: Southern Oregon University Ashland, Or

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 19:16