We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Yakima, WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Hi All! Some of you have seen my posts for the coast of OR in addition to Ashland. As I'm the director of a teen program, and I will be very pregnant by then, my staff opted to streamline this trip to just Ashland and back to WA.

We have seats WAY UP (cheap seats) in the balcony. Will my students be able to see? I read here that some suggest binoculars, so I will suggest that they bring if available.

We have basically one day to do Ashland in with a Green Show, Prologue, and Henry VIII that night.

My 1st question is: would Emigrant Lake with the waterslide & picnic area C keep them entertained for 2 hours? I wonder if it would be better to do that for less time. Has anyone done it? It's only 6 miles out of Ashland.

2nd: Hotel near SOU with comfy beds (pregnant with bad back!)? I found THe Palm nearby. ANy thoughts?

3rd: How long to take a group through Lithia park and downtown shopping before dinner. Group will be broken up into several groups of about 5-6 people.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

In the Bowmer Theater you can see and hear just fine from anywhere. No binoculars necessary. Haven't been in the back rows of the Elizabethan Theater, but am pretty sure the same applies; but others might have more experience there.

We've stayed in the Super 8 just off the freeway at the south end of town and found it to be just fine for a one-night stay. You'll be in high season, so don't expect anything cheap. And you should book as soon as possible. Others at that end of town to look at are Flagship Inn, Windmill Inn and Timbers Motel (although that is smaller).

I would allow an hour or so for poking around on the main drag and seeing Lithia Park. The park is right next to the theaters so, you can easily gather there for the green show.

Level Contributor
35,922 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

The Stratford Inn is nice and they have an indoor pool that the kids might enjoy. :)

Yakima, WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Thanks OregonPoppa,

Yes, sorry, it's the Elizabethan way at the top. I hope it will be okay for sight.

I really appreciate it. Yes, I need to try to find lodging near SOU under $87/night. Wish me luck! If I simply can't, I can get an increase approved.

NV

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Oregonpoppa, How old are your kids? There are a couple stores in downtown Ashland where my teenage daughter could easily spend an hour, or two.... each. ;-)

Re the Elizabethan, binoculars aren't a bad idea for balcony seats. And dress in layers; it gets cold up there sometimes.

Does SOU run a summer term? I'm wondering if you could stay in dorm rooms.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Oh, my. My kids are now trying to limit the shopping of their kids! My wife can spend all weekend in the shops. Fortunately, she keeps her credit card under control (she's usually more interested in shopping for our grandkids and her co-workers than for herself). We both can get lost for quite awhile in the festival gift shop.

I was thinking that NuevaVista09 would be interested in imposing a limit rather than just turning them loose all day.

As for Syrahgirl's suggestion, she apparently isn't in tune with the need to house a large group of kids in an economical setting.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Hi NuevaVista09! If dorm rooms are not available try checking with the Ashland YMCA to see if your group can stay in a multipurpose room or gym. I know it doesn't sound great for your pregnant back but if I remember correctly we crashed on the gymnastics mats and they were pretty comfy. But that was a looong time ago. :-)

Seconding the recommendation to bring binoculars and "warm layers" to the play. There are blankets for rent but you can bring your own. We like the kind that zip into a seat pad - Henry's a rather long play.

Downtown depends on the groups. I personally could wander for a couple of hours through Lithia Park on a nice day, while others could probably spend that long in just one shop.

I hear the Lithia Water drinking fountains in the Plaza have been reopened, be sure to encourage the groups to stop in and try a sip! It's good for you!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

"Oregonpoppa, How old are your kids?" Understandable and nice comment. Your "voice" and activities appear younger than your years. :)

Yakima, WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

Thanks guys!

Great ideas.

Our students are staying in SOU's Dorms.It's me with a bad back and going to be HUGE by that time: I will need a real matress or I won't make it.

I like the idea of letting them shop and enjoy Lithia Park until dinner and the Prologue and green show. I will defnitely have them bring a blanket and wear layers.

Anybody have an opinion on Emigrant Lake Waterslide?

Thanks again!

NV

Level Contributor
35,922 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

www.passport2ashland.com is a nice website for the area with lots of great info! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking Large Teen Group to Ashland June 30-July 2nd, 2009

I think Lithia Park will keep them entertained-they can 'jump in the creek' if they need to get wet. :)

I've only passed by Emigrant Lake-seeing the water slides from a distance, it looked like it could be fun for teens-it seemed like there were alot of people there. Thats all i really know about it...