We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Ashland

West USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Ashland

We are spending a week in Ashland, OR and have some plays already selected and a few restaurants that we plan to visit. Are there any places you suggest we visit within an hour or so of Ashland? A winery or interesting town? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Ashland

Definitely Jacksonville: www.jacksonvilleoregon.org/calendar.html

Had you thought of a drive to Crater Lake? Two or so hours away?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Ashland

Here's some info about wineries... http://www.oregonwineandfarmtour.com/

In addtition to the suggestions above, there is a small ghost town called Buncom not too far from Jacksonville. The Oregon Caves are about 1.5 hours away. There are several lakes just east of Ashland.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Ashland

A lot of the southern Oregon wineries are in the Applegate Valley: http://www.winesnw.com/RogueMap.htm . It's a scenic drive, but I'm not a big fan of any of the wines produced there. I do like some of the wines produced at Cliff Creek, though I don't know that I'd go out of my way (north of Medford 15 miles).

Level Contributor
35,741 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Ashland

I hope New Sammy's in nearby Talent is on your restaurant list! I would go to Paschal Winery, it's a really pretty one with some excellent wines. There is also Abacela, I love their Viognier and Tempranillo. In nearby Central Point there is the Rogue Creamery where you can sample some of the finest Bleu Cheese ever! I hope you have a great trip! :)

West USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Ashland

Thank you...great site w/map to wineries. Any thoughts on whether any of the tours are good or better to visit on your own?

West USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week in Ashland

Two places we hope to visit in Talent...Sammy's and Arbor House. Do you know if Sammy's takes reservations? Thanks for the blue cheese and winery suggestions!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Week in Ashland

"Any thoughts on whether any of the tours are good or better to visit on your own?"

Not sure to whom that's addressed. We've always enjoyed visiting on our own more, but that might be because we're generally familiar with the area. That, and we don't mind getting lost every now and then. ;-)

Syrahgirl, you do know that Abacela is about 100 miles from Ashland, don't you? Do you really think it's worth the drive?

8. Re: Week in Ashland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:18