We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

We are going for a week to Ashland in June. We will spend 4 days in Ashland itself, but would like to take a side trip of 3-4days somewhere around the area. We are with kids in the 10-13 age range who love nature and everything related to animals.

Would like to hear any recommendations you may have.

We are planning to go for one day to Crater Lake. Maybe spend three days towards the coast, stopping at Grant's pass for a river trip.

What else could we do? Would really appreciate some ideas for an additional destination. Maybe somewhere where we could spend a couple of nights and explore the surrounding area.

One more thing, we will be driving, but would not like to drive more than a few hours. That is, we would not go as far asPortland.

Thanks a lot and will appreciate your pointers.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

I've no particular recommendations, but do have some thoughts about your proposed itinerary.

Four days in Ashland is too many. Unless you're spending most of the time in theaters, I suspect the kids will be climbing walls after two. Even then.....

Crater Lake has had a lot of snow this season, so the rim drive may not be open when you plan to visit. So, it could be a short one.

Have you and the kids seen the redwoods? The drive from Grants Pass on 199 along Smith River and through a couple redwood groves is inspiring. And the southern Oregon coast between Brookings and Port Orford is spectacular. And jet boats also go upriver from Gold Beach.

With as much time as you have, I suggest you consider a multi-day trip on the Rogue River. It's got all of what you say the kids like, and more.

Lastly, how does a couple nights in a treehouse sound? Check out www.treehouses.com.

Have fun. Sounds like you've got the makings of a great trip.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

When visiting Crater Lake, check out whether you can hike down to the boat launch and actually ride around on Crater Lake in a boat (not sure if it will be available this year or not, but is a cool adventure for kids and adults alike). Visit the Fort Klamath museum south of Crater Lake, on the way to Klamath Falls, and visit the Lave Beds National Monument south of Klamath Falls, just over the CA border (you can go caveing there, see petroglyphs, see lots of cool wildlife, and learn about the Modoc Indian war. Some of the caves have ice floors, all year round).

If not much of that appeals to you, I agree that a trip to the redwoods is a wonderful way to spend several days. The hiking in the area (Stout Grove Road, Hiouchi Trail, Jedediah Smith State Park, Big Tree, Gold Bluffs Beach State Park and Fern Canyon) is amazing and something kids would really love. Up the Coast a bit, near Coos Bay, North Bend and Florence there are huge sand dunes and going on a sand dune buggy ride was one of my niece's favorite parts of the trip (she was 7 at the time). We recommend Sandland Adventures/Family Fun Center just south of Florence--try to ride with Chris--he is totally wild and fun, and very knowledgeable about the dunes.

Have fun in Ashland and enjoy your trip!

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

Since the weather will be warm and your children love nature, I suggest visiting the Sea Lion caves in Grants Pass (a bit of a drive, but not terrible) and exploring the Oregon Caves. I did this with my parents when I was 12 and loved it! Also, you can take tours down the Rogue River Rapids. The tours are pretty mild; if you are experienced with white river rafting then you may just want to rent your own equipment. But if you're not a big thrill seeker, the tours are a lot of fun and would be great for kids.

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

The Sea Lion Caves are near Florence on the coast, not Grant's Pass. This would be a great way to see some of the coast. Why not take a trip up the coast? Here a few highlights of the Oregon Coast:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1334-Hot_Spots…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

I agree with Mistletoe, 4 are too many days in Ashland. How much theater time do you plan??

You could do boat trip at Grants Pass in day trip Even could do Crater lake in day trip if you start early.

Another thought. go to Crater Lake then down N Umpqua to Roseburg and on to coast at Reedsport, do a dune buggy ride in the sand sunes. head south. good boat ride on Rogue from Gold beach. see Redwoods then south along 101 to Bay Area

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

mistletoe & phirl have lived here for a long time and you can trust their advice :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

I agree. Ashland is way dull for kids.

There is a wildlife safari place in Cave Junction. Also the Oregon Caves.

I would try the Weasku Inn. You will need their cabin with the loft, there is a loft bed and a couch and another bed on the ground floor. Its really nice.

If you want something a little less expensive, go into town to the Riverside Inn or the Lodge at Riverside (same location, newly renovated).

These are all riverfront rooms at an affordable price. You can access all of these properties at http://www.countryhouseinns.com/index.html

Also, I would take a jaunt through Jacksonville, grab lunch at Bella Union and stroll for an hour or two, on your way up to Grants Pass.

From there, take your trip to Cave Junction, see the caves, the safari if you want to. Bridgeview winery is nice in town, also I love to go to Taylor's Sausage for a great, inexpensive lunch (or breakfast) - simple (hot dogs, bratwurwst, etc, and great shopping on beef jerky, etc).

When you are headed to Cave Junction, you will come to the town of Kerbyville (don't blink! You will miss it!). Do NOT miss the It's a Burl Gallery http://www.itsaburl.com. Harvey is a lot of fun and the stuff they make there is incredible. If he likes you, he might let you look at the house he is building/has built upstairs. It's amazing.

Hope that helps!

Oregon
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

Oh...one more thing...don't miss, as the others said, the Hellgate Jet Boat trip. Take the longest one you can afford. In June, they usually still can take the long trip, but it depends on river levels. Lots of wildlife...I have seen beavers, turkey vultures, fish, deer, goats, etc. And hellgate canyon is beautiful. Its nature + adventure. The dock is at the Riverside Inn and Lodge @ Riverside location I referenced above.

You can check them out at www.Hellgate.com.

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

We've stayed at the Riverside Inn and the Lodge. It just recently became a separate property from the Riverside Inn. The rooms at the Lodge are very nice, we had a room that opened out to the pool. The beds have down comforters and really great mattresses. The rooms are nicely appointed, also.

We've done the Quick N Scenic trips more times than I care to count, LOL. This is a nice trip that takes you back to the canyon where the River Wild was filmed with Meryl Streep. The Wildlife Safari in Winston is also great fun. It is a drive-thru zoo and sounds like it would be a great "fit" for your love of nature and animals. They have a website for more info.

Have a wonderful time! :)

10. Re: what else should we do for 3 days after spending 4 days at...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2006, 21:19