We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake lodging

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pembroke PInes...
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake lodging

can anyone recommend the best place to stay when visiting Crater Lake? We will be coming from the south, going through Drater Lake and driving the Oregon and California coast south.

I understand that Diamond Lake is not very nice and I'm sure the park lodge is not available (late September).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake lodging

Crater Lake Lodge is probably booked, but you might get lucky if you call regularly to check for cancellations. The other in-park lodging is at Mazama Village. We stayed there a night last summer. How would I describe it... ;-) minimalist and spartan are a couple words that fit. But at least it's clean enough.

If you're coming from the south, another possibility would be the Prospect Hotel.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake lodging

Did you check webpage for Diamond Lake Resort? I have stayed there a few times on work, and it is ok. would take my wife there with some warnings, and she would be ok. Then we rarely stay at high end places. but we do avoid motel 6.

We spent one night at Crater Lake Lodge and won't again. Costs too much for size of room and many have limited view.

We are in that area every year but with our pop-up. near Union Creek. So that is how we visit Crater Lake fairly often.

One thought is Klamath Falls for night, up early then down the N Umpqua to Roseburg and head to Oreg coast at Reedsport from there.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake lodging

The Lodge will probably be open until the first of October. We've stayed there once. It was very expensive for the room, overall, but we had a room with a great view, and it was for our 25th wedding anniversary, so was very special for that reason. Lodge guests are allowed to make reservations for dinner before the non-guests, and we had a marvelous meal that evening too. Watching the sunrise and the colors of the lake surface slowly changing from your lakeview room or the front verandah of the Lodge is an amazing experience!

If you are coming up from the south, then Ashland, Medford and Klamath Falls all have plenty of lodging, and are fairly similar in distance from Crater Lake. If you will be anywhere near Ashland I would suggest a bed and breakfast there--it's a cool town and there is lots of choice for lodging, restaurants, and, of course, the Shakespeare Festival and other theaters and entertainment (we especially like the Oregon Cabaret Theater).

Post back with your driving route and how much time you have for this part of your trip and we can give more detailed lodging info. Have fun planning your trip!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake lodging

We usually stay in Klamath Falls when visiting Crater Lake. Another option might be the Bend area. Neither of them are as close as staying at the Lodge but much cheaper and more options.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake lodging

One way to consider your trip to Crater Lake is to look at the mileage and time distances between Klamath Falls and Bend. Neither is very far. You could drive to the Lake and see quite a bit in one easy day, then continue on to Bend.

Pacific City, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake lodging

I would suggest staying at the Historic Prospect Hotel. It's a short drive from there to Crater Lake and the owners/innkeepers & staff are very helpful. Try to get one of the B&B rooms instead of the motel rooms.

This place is a great option when the Crater Lake Lodge is all booked up.

Chatsworth, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crater Lake lodging

I just returned from a stay at crater lake lodge on sunday night. While there, a couple had been camping in the park but was able to get a room thru a cancelation. After reading a post from another, I would agree to check with the reservation system every day and try and secure a room at the lodge thru a cancelation. ( to get most reservations, you need to book a year in advance, and peoples plans do change)

Good Luck!

8. Re: Crater Lake lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 09:17