We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashland this week/end

Brookings, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ashland this week/end

Thinking of traveling to Ashland from Brookings with my husband for my birthday - arrive thursday night, leave Saturday afternoon. Couple of questions:

*we have never been to Ashland in winter - are we likely to need chains when driving over from Brookings?

*what is going on Friday/Saturday that is interesting (know that is subjective - special shows, concerts, bazaars, etc?)

*recommendation on "romantic" dinner location.

Thanks in advance! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashland this week/end

Assuming you'll be going south to 199 and across? Next weekend is a long way away for Oregon weather predicting but unless there is a really cold wet storm you should be okay as the highest point on Hwy 199 is about 2,000 feet.

Events? Check here... http://www.ashlandchamber.com/calendar.asp Also look at the Expo Center at Central point.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashland this week/end

Thanks! Weekend as in a couple of days from now. :) Weather said possible snow on Friday, so thanks for the info. I checked the chamber and saw a few christmas bazaars, but sometimes those can be a little iffy, and sometimes they are great! I will check the other sure as well.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashland this week/end

Whenever we drive from our home near Salem to California, we take Hwy 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City if there's snow or ice on I-5 over the Siskiyous. We've never had a problem or even a delay in numerous trips on 199. Unless there's a low-level blizzard, you should be fine.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashland this week/end

Update - just watched the weather report and KGW is saying that there very well may be a snow storm along the southern/ central Oregon coast by Thursday or Friday :-(

Best to keep a very close eye on the weather. KGW, KOIN, KATU, KPTV in Portland plus the Medford stations (I think there are a couple) all have the weather on their websites.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashland this week/end

Also saw the same reports. We had planned a quick trip to Sonoma and Mendocino wine country for this week (Sunday, Dec. 1 to Thursday) but decided to cancel at last minute. Glad we did -- looks like the drive home on Friday would not have been fun: either up I-5 over the Siskiyous or up 101 and taking 199 over to Grants Pass.

Will be taking one of those routes to-from Arizona in January. Fingers crossed. Fortunately, timing is flexible so we can head out when roads look clear and check again for return.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashland this week/end

When you do make it over, consider seeing a play at the Oregon Cabaret Theater. The play now is Wizard of Panto-Land. Their plays are almost always awesome, and they do sell out. You can have dinner in the theater before the show if you are so inclined.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashland this week/end

WifeLaTorre, did you make it to Ashland before the storm hit? Hope your plans are flexible enough that you can wait until Sunday or Monday, if necessary, to return to Brookings.

So glad we canceled a planned trip to Sonoma wine country for this past week -- we would have almost certainly been stuck somewhere on I-5 north of Redding. Instead, we're warm and snuggly and "almost" snowbound in our Dallas abode. :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ashland this week/end

Just read where Highway 101 is closed several places in northern Calif due to snow. I-5 NB north of Redding is closed to trucks; open to cars with some chain restrictions. Siskiyou Pass still open (chains required) but snowing hard there!

Much better to be inside by the fire :-)

9. Re: Ashland this week/end

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 06:17