We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

portland
Level Contributor
135 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

We will be visiting Ashland in September and then driving to Tu Tu Tun Lodge. Does anyone have a recommendation for a very nice place to stay within driving distance from Ashland in the vicinity of Northern California?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Yreka is less than 40 miles from Ashland. Has several motels.

Are you staying in Ashland then plan to travel much of next day, or are you trying to find a place for after play.

Ashland has some really nice places

portland
Level Contributor
135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

We are looking for a driving trip, but don't like to drive more than 4 -5 hours. A unique or interesting property south of Gold Beach. Thank you.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Yreka is the closest stopping point in California. Redding has many more overnight options and is still within 2 hours of Ashland.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

I'm confused. If you're going to Tu Tu Tun Lodge, which is in Gold Beach, why do you want a place south of Gold Beach? Where are you coming from? What route were you planning to take between Ashland and Gold Beach? There are some forest roads that we wouldn't recommend, especially if you're leery of driving too many hours per day.

You'll need to supply a lot more info on your itinerary so we will understand what you need.

portland
Level Contributor
135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Oh, sorry. Thanks for being helpful!

Ashland south to northern California. We like upscale properties. We might go to Tu Tu Tun, and drive over to the 101 highway and head south. We don't know of any nice place in Redding, Eureka, etc. Bette

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Northern Calif can be Yreka-Redding or Crescent City Eureka. real different directions.

How do you plan to get to Tu Tu Tum? Road from Galice not that great. Really need some exp with mountain driving. It has steep parts and is single lane in places. I have been on it several times, mostly with others in work situation

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Let's be clear. Ashland south to northern California means I-5 across Siskiyou Pass to Yreka to Redding, etc.

Gold Beach south to Northern California means to Eureka and through the redwoods. You can do one going one way and the other going the other, but you can't combine them going in a single direction. And the options for getting from 101 to I-5 (or vice versa) in that region are very few, with the best being #199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City.

Now, if you'll tell us where you are coming from and going back to...and what you are looking for on your road trip that fits with your 4-5 hours per day driving....we might be able to be more helpful. We're trying.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Hi poodles, yes can you please be a bit more specific? Can you look at a map whilst you are typing so it's clear to us?

Eureka has the Carter House Inn. Very upscale with onsite restaurant. I think OregonJohn has eaten there? There are also three very *nice* B&Bs in Trinidad, which is about 25 miles or so north of Eureka. Ferndale, about 20 miles south of Eureka, has several authentic Victorian hotels and B&Bs.

--

The road from I-5 over to Gold Beach (Bear Mountain - Rtes 23/33) is paved the whole way but is slow and narrow in parts. There are no services at all and no cell phone reception. Drive it only between late May and October. Not suitable for trailers.

Hwy 199 is the usual route but I'm not sure what you have in mind?

Book well ahead for Tu Tu Tun.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

OK, I now think I understand where you're going. Try this -- From Ashland, back up I-5 to Grants Pass, then 199 to Hwy 101 just north of Crescent City. Head north up 101 and you should be able to reach Gold Beach in about an hour. Total drive time should be right around 4 hours -- maybe less with no stops. No need for in interim overnight stay,

Edited: 08 May 2014, 04:25
Level Contributor
36,652 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Calif: Where to stay within driving distance to Ashland?

Have you booked at Tu Tu Tun yet? It is a very popular place. We stayed 2 nights there and absolutely loved this place. The personable service you receive here is amazing. The setting is very pretty and the appetizer/wine tasting hour is not to miss. Have fun! :).