We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

We will be in Ashland for 4 days in October and are looking for fun/adventurous/interesting things to do during the day. We already have our lodging and theater tickets for PM.

I would like to go rafting, but fear that we may be too late in the season.

Is there any zip lining in the area?

Great tours of chocolate factories? Or other local fare?

Saturday markets?

Hiking to waterfalls?

Also, it is our wedding anniversary and I would love any suggestions on romantic activities in the area.

Many thanks!!

Level Contributor
36,372 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

In nearby Talent is New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro where you may want to plan a meal. Tell them it is your anniversary when you make a reservation. :).

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Central Point, just north of Medford is home to Rogue Creamery where you can sample some of the country's most flavorful cheeses -- especially a wide array of blues. Next door is a chocolate producer that specializes in unusual combos. Also a wine tasting room in the small "foodie" complex.

Jet boat excursions may still be departing from Grants Pass in October -- check the websites for that area. Other good day trip possibilities include the town of Jacksonville (on the National Historic Register) a little west of Medford, and of course, Crater Lake, a drive of a couple hours.

And I'll also give a hearty second to Syrahgirl's mention of New Sammy's. Despite the rather funky name, it is a true bastion of fine dining (and wining). Chef/owner Charlene Rollins trained and worked at Chez Panisse in the SF Bay area, and hubby Vernon has compiled what may be the best wine list in the Northwest at prices that are ridiculously low. Enjoy!

Edited: 11 August 2014, 20:15
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

There may be something going on at the Expo Center in Central Point. You could make a day trip to Crater Lake and also include some of the scenic small lakes around, plus drive old Hwy 66 - an original wagon trail. If you like wine, there are wineries in the Applegate Valley plus also a teeny ghost town called Buncom. Farmer's markets are usually ending in October.

The Oregon Vortex in Gold Hill might interest you, it's sort of kitschy fun. If you're hikers you might like to visit Table Rock near Medford. I looked up ziplining and sure enough:

http://rvzipline.com/

Shasta, California
Level Contributor
252 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Ashland Saturday Market 9-2 Oak Street right downtown

Wineries: www.ashlandchamber.com/ChamberDirectory.asp…

Rent a bike & cycle the wonderful Bear Creek Greenway path: www.ashlandchamber.com/ChamberDirectory.asp…

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Thank you all!!

Could you tell me more about Table Rock? Is it an all day hike?

Also, what would draw us to Jacksonville and Crater Lake? What are the "do not miss" things to do there?

Again, thank you!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Jacksonville, about 5 miles west of Medford, is a US National Historic Landmark and boasts over 100 original business and residential buildings from the mid-1800's. Several presidents have stayed overnight at the historic Jacksonville Inn (excellent restaurant also) and you'll find numerous interesting shops and good dining choices. There also is a historic museum in town which displays a number of artifacts from one of its most famous residents, the original Bozo the Clown.

Crater Lake is Oregon's only US National Park and is the deepest lake in the country. The historic lodge along the rim is a tourist favorite, the scenic drive around the rim is also quite popular and there are numerous hiking trails -- from easy to moderately strenuous. Rightfully considered one of the USA's great natural scenic wonders.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Sorry, most of my knowledge of Table Rock is from DH who many years ago used to go up there to hang out with friends ;-) He remembers when the airstrip on the top was in use. I've been on the road that goes up there but I can't remember how much hiking/walking is required after the road ends. Ah, this should help:

blm.gov/or/…table-rock-hiking.php

I think there is at least one other Table Rock in Oregon, so make sure if you google more info, that you get the one near Medford :-)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

Thank you all, so much!

Someone at work yesterday suggested the Oregon caves.

Have you ever been? Worth the drive from Ashland?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

It's always hard for one person to guess what might be 'worth it' to another, particularly when we don't know you very well, LOL :-)

That said, the caves are interesting. I've been on the tour twice and IMO it's a little more 'rugged' than some of the show caves. Read more info on their website. It's a couple of hours to get there from Ashland.

You can read reviews and see pics here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60923-d11…

10. Re: Ashland in Oct for 4 days. Looking for fun!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2015, 17:15