We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip planning for women's group of 7

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trip planning for women's group of 7

My friends are planning a trip in July or Sept. We need suggestions as to where to stay for 3 nights. Should we be booking tickets and lodging this far in advance? This will be a first time for all of us so any advice would be appreciated.

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

I would book now for summer. What type of lodging do you prefer? If you like cool, historic buildings, the Ashland Springs Hotel is very nice. It is right on Main St. and walking distance to the theaters. It is also walking distance to Chateaulin, a cozy, intimate little French place we have enjoyed several times. They offer a Fixed Price menu which includes 2 glasses of wine, check their website to see what's being offered at the time you plan on traveling.

We also like the Ashland Plaza Inns & Suites, we have stayed there many times when we travel with our daughter. The Spa King Suite is very nice with a separate sitting area and a jacuzzi tub. These rooms overlook the creek which is very pretty, there is also a balcony with the Suite rooms. Adjacent to the Plaza is Beasey's on the Creek which is an above average restaurant with nice views of the creek from the outside tables.

I would also like to suggest the Peerless for one of your fine dining meals. I have a review with photos of our last meal there. It's an amazing restaurant, pretty dining room and excellent service. If you like Italian food, Cucian Biazzi is a touch of Tuscany in Ashland. Hope this helps and have a great time in Ashland! :)

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

I'm assuming 'tickets' means the SHakespeare festival- yes you should be making your tix this far in advance, esp if you go in July and on a weekend and if you want to go to one of the more popular shows in the outdoor theater.

oregon and mexico
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

Both July and September are busy months in Ashland and booking lodging now would be a good idea.

If you decide on July you should check the schedule for the Britt Festival in nearby Jacksonville. If you go, bring blankets with you to spread on the lawn, a picnic, and a few bottles of wine. The lawn seating is much more fun than the reserved seats closer to the stage even though the view from the hillside can be quite distant. An evening at Britt will be a nice change from theatre and fun for group of friends.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

When we went to Ashland for my sister's graduation in July this year we stayed at Windmill Inn and Suites it was nice and had an outdoor pool, the nearby Best Western (Across the street) also looked nice and had a restaurant.

There are some great places to eat downtown, Here is my page from my trip, hope it helps a bit.

You will want to make sure to avoid the graduation dates for SOU, so I would go to SOU's website and make sure what the date is and NOT go that weekend! ;)

Have fun

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4597-Ashland_f…

oregon and mexico
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

I agree with Syragirl, it is nice to stay in the downtown area so that you can walk to most of the things you'll want to see and do in Ashalnd. Save the driving and the hassel of finding a parking space. Here are some good choices ranging from most expensive to least: Ashland Creekside Inn (would be great for a group of friends), Ashland Springs Hotel, Winchester Inn, Bard's Inn, and the Columbia Hotel (which is probably not what you are looking for). These are all nice places. If you can get in and if it is within your budget, the Creekside Inn would be a great choice. Many of the rooms are big enough for gathering and entertaining.

Plaza Inn is also convenient but you might want to check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

It's definitely not too early! If you are looking for smaller, more intimate accomodations for your group try Shrew's House B&B (http://www.shrews.com/). Walking distance to downtown and Shakespeare, plus a lovely breakfast!

I second the recommendation to check out the Britt concerts as well. We saw Susan Tedeschi and the Subdudes there last year. You can get a "Britt sitter" to hold your place in line during the day. Try to sit in the small grassy area in front of the reserved seats (part of General Admission)... it's well worth the effort!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

If by Creekside Inn, Dzine means Ashland Creek Inn - http://www.ashlandcreekinn.com/ - I'd second the recommendation. In hindsight, we should have stayed there last time in Ashland rather than the Plaza, which is an ordinary cookie-cutter-style hotel that you'll find anywhere in the country. Ashland Creek Inn, on the other hand, has a european feel, and even though it's in the center of town, sitting on the deck overlooking the creek, one feels as if in a sanctuary.

oregon and mexico
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

I did mean Ashland Creek Inn. Thanks for the correction.

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

We just stayed 2 nights at the Plaza, both were very nice stays. Have you found a place yet, nannydee? We also enjoyed yet another wonderful meal at Chateaulin in downtown Ashland. It was misting this morning, a nice change from the warm afternoon in Portland the previous day. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip planning for women's group of 7

September is a great month in Ashland - the crowds are much less, the weather is ideal (much, much less hot than July), rooms should be a touch cheaper, restaurants easier to get in to. I just found out that the Ashland Springs Hotel does great packages which can combine a spa visit and rooms or dinner in Larks and rooms, theatre tickets, etc. It saved me money compared to doing all those things separately and encouraged me to pamper myself - always a great thing!