We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About Aiken

Which Aiken hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
About Aiken

We had the opportunity to visit SC last Sept. We stayed at Myrtle Beach and took a drive of the area. It's very nice there and we plan on going back. We're beginning to look at an area for semi-retirement. We want to live close enough to be able to go to the ocean, but not too close to it. Can anyone tell us about the Aiken area? It looks like there are mountains by it. So far about the only info that I know about it is the population is about 25,000 people. Any info on that area would be appreciated. Also, is Summerville a suburb of Charleston or is it a ways away?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
142 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About Aiken

Aiken is a lovely city very close to Augusta, Ga. The terrain is rolling hills that is dotted with beautiful horse farms. There is a quaint main street are for shopping and dining. I used to travel to Aiken frequently and always enjoyed my visits. It's about a 3 hour drive from Charleston.

Summerville is a town all to itself. It requires about a 30-40 minute drive from downtown Charleston, depending on traffic. Summerville is a friendly town that resembles Aiken in many ways. Summerville is larger than Aiken and has more "modern" conveniences.

Just want to make sure that you travel to either place in July. You've really got to be able to tolerate hot temperatures with high humidity. I would guess that either place would average in the 90's during the peak of the summer with 70-80% humidity. I was born in Charleston and still HATE the last 2 weeks of July and all of August for that reason.

Anywhere you go in SC you'll find friendly people. (You'll find that southern hospitality is a true thing!) Good luck with your decision.

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About Aiken

Oh thank you so much for the info. I saw pics of the hills and they look beautiful. We sort of figured it'd be pretty hot and humid during the summer, but the winters are so much nicer there then they are up north. So would it be wisest to fly into Columbia, SC and drive to Aiken or is there a nearer airport? I checked the mileage and it looks like it's only about an hour drive from Columbia.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
142 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About Aiken

Columbia is only a 1 hour drive and it's VERY easy. Good luck with your decision. You really can't go wrong with either spot.

Get answers to your questions about Aiken