We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayfield Dairy Tour

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Mayfield Dairy Tour

Mayfield Dairy has a free tour of their plant in Athens. Outside the plant is a giant black and white and a beautiful mural of cows in a field on the factory side.

The tour is free, fun and educational. You get to see how the milk is brought in and bottled. It is fun to watch the ice cream being made too. At the beginning of the tour there is a short film with the current Mayfield heir explaining the history of the company. It is kind of a commercial but is interesting. You wear hairnets on the tour although most of the time you are behind glass looking in from a hallway. We took pictures of how funny we looked in hairnets. The tour does require a little bit of walking. At the end of the tour you can try some of the the ice cream they offer in a little ice cream parlor. The ice cream isn't free but is reasonably priced. Sometimes they offer flavors you can't get in the stores. There is also a gift shop with Mayfield Dairy souvenirs.

Athens is a charming little Southern town. I recommend this as an unusal out -of- the way excursion.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

That should read, outside is a giant black and white cow.

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

Thanks for the info. We almost stopped for this but wasn't sure how much walking would be involved. Since my father-in-law can't walk very much, I'm glad we didn't chance it. Next time I go to the Smokies, it'll just be me and my husband so I'm sure we'll stop for the Mayfield tour.

By the way, how does the tour take?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

I didn't time it but I'd guess about an hour including the short film. There are steps to climb too that I should mention. You'd have navigate them going on the tour and on the way back.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

Here's the website. I should have posted it earlier. It has the tour times but not the length of the tour. It does say the last tour is one hour before closing which would lead me to believe that is about how long they estimate a tour would take.

www.mayfielddairy.com/visitors_locations.html

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

FYI, I'd call ahead before taking the last tour of the day or going on a Saturday. I went on a Saturday afternoon one time and while we could go in and look through glass windows, nothing was happening since all the workers were done for the day. Don't assume that since they're "open for tours", that you're going to see production... check first!

Of course, just a scoop of the ice cream is always worth a stop in its own right, IMHO!

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

Same thing happened to us.....production was done for the day so nothing to see. Not that we didn't enjoy the ice cream.....yum yum.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

I have a sister who lives only a few blocks away. She hosted an exchange student from Russia who wanted to know where all the historic statues in Athens were so they took her over to the Mayfield Dairy and pointed to the cow.

I was really impressed by the cleanliness of the factory and how strictly they abide by the government regulations. It would have been a completely different tour if they hadn't been in production. There is an 800 number on the website if you want to make sure before you go.

8. Re: Mayfield Dairy Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 13:24
Get answers to your questions about Athens
Recent Conversations