We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help

Which Amarillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
765 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help

We will be stopping over for 1 night on the way to Durango, CO with our 2 kids, ages 7 and 11. I think I have narrowed it down to Holiday Inn Express in Wolflin Ave or Hampton Inn- I 40 West. I had seen in other posts that there were several new hotels going up in the Soncy Rd area. Can anyone tell me the names of these places and/or any recommendations? We plan on doing the touristy Big Texan and Cadillac Ranch. Are those places close by?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help

The Drury is on Soncy/I-40 as is the Hilton, Country Inn and Suites. Courtyard by Marriott is not far from the area.

Soncy exit is on the west part of town and Big Texan is on the east side of town. That being said, it will take you about 15 minutes to drive from one side of town to the other.

West of Soncy is Cadillac Ranch (about 4 mile drive).

Soncy area has the mall and lots of restaurants. (Furrs cafeteria, Red Robin, Joe's Crab Shack, Barbque..etc)

The area around Holiday Inn has restaurants too. Texas Roadhouse, Burger King, a GREAT bakery/cafe is in Wolfin Village and you have some fast food restaurants up the street and a donut stop across Georgia.

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions.. just let me know!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
765 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help

Thanks so much for the info! Can you give me any information about the cowboy breakfast at Palo Duro Canyon? How long does it take? Is it worth it?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help

Hi

We visited Palo Duro in 2005 and it was a pleasant surprise, unexpected in this part of Texas. We stayed in Canyon at the brand new Best Western adjacent to the Holiday Inn and a short drive to Palo Duro Canyon. We also visited Cadillac Ranch but it was not easy to find and it's not signposted (maybe overlooked). Go west from Amarillo on I40. Off exit 62B* and take the byway along the I40 to the bridge, then left on the bridge and immediately to your right. It lookes like you are entering the interstate from the wrong side but there is a turn off to the left and then it's 1 mile to Cadillac Ranch. Park the car at the roadside and walk the 200 yards to the cars.Don't expect too much.(but don't miss!!) Maybe some longhorns will welcome you.

* Not sure if this is the correct exit, maybe Karen can confirm or correct.

Tet

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
765 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help

Tet,

Thanks for the heads up on directions to Cadillac Ranch. I'm sure hubby will appreciate that since we will be ending a day's drive there from Little Rock, AR.

I checked out the Best Western in Canyon on TA and they did not get great reviews (only 2 posted, though). How was your experience?

How far is Palo Duro from Amarillo? We bascially plan to spend one evening in Amarillo on our way to Durango, CO. Do Big Texan and Cadillac Ranch that evening and Palo Duro in the am before heading to our next stop, Albuquerque. We thought about the cowboy breakfast because that worked out well with our timeline and was a good way to see some of the canyon. We are not a hiking bunch. Can any of the highlights of the canyon be seen by car?

Thanks for all of your help. You seem to a well seasoned American traveler.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help

Yes, 2 reviews. One of them is mine (I was Tet13 by that time) and gave the hotel *** because room was clean and large and staff was friendly. Breakfast very basic but you won't need that. Palo Duro is on tx217 off exit 106 to the east(the hotels are right to the west) from I27. We came from Lubbock. PD is 30 minutes south of Amarillo. Just drive 217 to Palo Duro (hugh Big Texan billboard here). To the visitor center and descend to the canyon. There are many trails but also a sealed looproad. I'm not a hiker either and we drove the loop road for an hour making some photostops. It really is a swell place and it's an easy drive. It's not that far from Amarillo to ABQ. For info and coupons visit the friendly NM visitor center right across the border, and the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa is fun for the kids. Alsi Tucumcari, a historic town along R66 is worth a short stop for sentimental reasons.

Amarillo-ABQ will take 4-4.5 hours direct drive.

Probably better to visit PD first before Cadillac Ranch (we only stayed 30 minutes and that was enough for us.)

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, we have been around.

Tet

6. Re: Hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 23:18