We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 females visitn for a few days

West Reading, Pa
6 posts
Save Topic
2 females visitn for a few days

2 females 25 years old visiting Austin for a few days. We would like to know the best bar/club areas. We like clubs the best, but bars can be fun given the right crowd and atmosphere. Also, we are on a limited budget as we are driving from PA to Cali and back, so cheap hotels in the area that we can walk to the bars. Also, any unsafe areas that we should stay away from. We have a car so driving isn't a problem. A few ideas on fun cheap things to do during the day would be nice. We are not museum/aquarium type people. We want to do things, and interact with people.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
647 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

You don't say when you're coming?

Sixth street is the obvious bar/club hangout area:

http://www.6street.com/

Maybe a local with chime in with other ideas, but that's a good area to walk up and down a street trying different venues.

Barton Springs is a neat place... really unique in my opinion:

http://www.6street.com/

Eat at Chuy's... it isn't very expensive and it's an experience!

http://www.chuys.com/

Sorry, but I can't help with the hotels... Hope you have a great trip!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

I would not stay on the I-35 corridor area near downtown for noise and safety issues. If you look at the site that Owl gave you, 6street.com, there is a hotel map (on the left of the page)- click on that and it will show you the Club Hotel by Doubletree, Super 8, Sheraton, Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn on Town Lake are all sitting on the highway.

The issue you may have with Austin is anything downtown and walkable is not going to be the under $100 a night, chain variety. The easiest and cheapest for us has been Extended Stay America on Guadalupe. It has free parking which is a savings plus but it isn't fancy which can be a minus. You can walk all over because the location is excellent.

There is a new Hampton Inn whcih we have not tried- depending on price, could be a good choice but we do like the Radisson for location.

Depending on when you are coming, keep in mind it is graduation sesason for UT so it could be iffy on getting a reservation right now.

West Reading, Pa
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

Thanks so much for all your help! We will be coming around May 22, sorry I forgot to put that the first time.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

www.austintexas.org or 512-478-0098 TODAY! to contact the Austin Visitor's Center and get them to send the free visitor's guide and maps. There's a lot of information and the maps are great to have.

Unfortunately, Extended Stay America on Guadalupe in the world's ugliest building is probably your best bet in you can get in. It's usually $12. extra for parking your car at the other downtown hotels. But the location can't be beat - Hut's hamburgers, Little Woodrow's for a cold one, and Whole Foods to get something from the chocolate fountain!

Plan to visit Waterloo Records at 6th and Lamar for a nationally known local record store. You won't be sorry and get an Amy's ice cream around the corner!

Welcome to Austin!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

The best cheap place to stay is the Austin Motel on South Congress - also puts you in the center of some action. And free parking. Cheap eats nearby at El Sol y La Luna, Jo's, a quickie Japanese place across the street, Guerro's for tacos.

Jo's is like an open-air coffee, sandwich shop - lot's of people hanging out...probably your best place to interact with people and check out the flyers on the back wall to see what's happening.

I have always felt very safe walking around this area at night - even with my two kids.

A dip into Barton Spring is a must and very reasonable - it's a natural spring fed pool - crystal clear.

Watching the bats emerge at dusk is free and a must. Go to the lawn area at the Statesman - corner of Barton Spring Rd (I think) and S. Congress...it's just on the south side of the bridge

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

definitely hit 6th street if you're the clubbing type. fun stuff. try to stay somewhere around there so you can just walk to the bars and back to the hotel..

definitely eat dinner at chuy's one night, yum

if you want a great breakfast (if you're not too hungover) try Magnolia Cafe

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

also, if you want to eat dinner somewhere on 6th before you hit the bars, try Iron Cactus, and sit on the roof patio

8. Re: 2 females visitn for a few days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 23:15