We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

Hi all,

I'm taking my first trip through Austin in about a month, and figured I I should find some great BBQ. After much research on this site I've narrowed it down to 3 choices (I'll only be in town a day, so I can hit one or maaaaybe 2 if stomach allows :-)

One big point - I eat chicken, not beef.

They are:

Rudy's: Seems to be a chain but I've read good things about it.

Salt Lick: Looks interesting from the pics. Looks to be about 30 minutes from Austin

IronWorks: Well Vince Young mentioned it on the tonight show, so it must be pretty good ;-)

Stubb's: Thought of this place mainly because SRV played there many years ago, so it could be cool to see.

So I'd love your advice on these, and if there is any that I should add to the list.

Thanks and take care.

LB

Austin
Level Contributor
916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

Salt Lick by far. Even my elderly, veggie-loving California parents want to eat there each visit.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
697 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

Salt Lick or Ironworks.

And add County Line to your list. :-)

http://www.countyline.com/index.asp

It's been a long, long time since I've been to the County Line in Austin, but the one in San Antonio had plenty of non-beef entrees, including the most incredible salad...oh gee thanks. Now I'm hungry! LOL. (Just kidding)

Austin
Level Contributor
916 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

I just noticed your note saying you eat chicken not beef. My sister doesn't eat beef either, so when she's in town, she orders the chicken/turkey option at the Salt Lick.

Iron Works would be my second choice, but the Salt Lick is so yummy that I rarely make it to the Iron Works (and I live ten minutes away).

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

All the barbecue places you mentioned have their fans. They're all good. Just remember that with your short time frame, you're giving up a lot of time to get to Salt Lick. It's picturesque and fun but I'd save it for a longer trip. Depending on traffic you're giving up a lot of time to get out there.

Iron Works is very good as are Rudy's, Stubb's, and County Line, and you're still in the middle of all the action that Austin has to offer.

Welcome to Austin!

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

IMHO, Salt Lick does not live up to its reputation, and it is a long drive from Austin. If you are going to drive that far, why not drive a little further by taking 183 South to Lockhart and eating either at Kreuz's or Smitty's, both of which are better -- again in my opinion -- than the four places you mentioned. Iron Works used to be great back in the 90's, and Vince may have mentioned it on The Tonight Show because he knows it's one of Jay Leno's favorite places, but it hasn't been great for a while and it's a bit pricey (then again, all of them are pricey). Of the ones you mentioned, Stubb's is the best. My personal favorite is Rib Kings, located behind the Olive Garden at 183 and Burnet. It also has an all-you-can-eat buffet (like the Salt Lick) but it's not in the middle of nowhere and it isn't named for something that you'd find in the mouth of a cow.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

salt lick. and i'm not even a big BBQ fan (yet I grew up in Texas, ha) their chicken and sausage is really good. their sauce has a great kick to it (ask for their jalepeno sauce if you like spicy-- my husband loves it.) also try their cobbler w/ ice cream, yummy! and be sure to bring your own cooler of beer

try Rudy's for a quick breakfast. they have great breakfast tacos

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

I second going to Kreuz's or Smitty's rather than Salt Lick. There must be something in the water in Lockhart. Salt Lick is good, but it isn't nearly as good as Lockhart BBQ.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

My 2 cents, in order of preference:

Kreuz's

Smitty's

Salt Lick

Iron Works

Rudy's

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

"Just remember that with your short time frame, you're giving up a lot of time to get to Salt Lick. "

I thought there were two locations, 360 and Airport? Is either one actually in Austin? Is one better than the other? We are staying at the Raddison North this weekend and were hoping to eat at Salt Lick. Which one is closer to our hotel? is it the good one???

(yes we will visit Kreuz on the way into Austin, the locals here say the bbq is awesome).

Sorry for all the ???s. Lived in San Antonio for years but only been to Austin once and not familiar with the area.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

austin, tx
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Trip to Austin - Narrowed down to the top 3 BBQ - help

Iron Works is right downtown overlooking Waller Creek. Good BBQ. They are closed on Sunday though!