We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner with young child

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dinner with young child

Hi! My husband, grown daughter and I will be visiting family in Austin over the Easter holiday weekend. They have an almost 2 year old boy and we are looking for dinner suggestions that are family friendly but also has excellent food. We don't mind going out fairly early ( 6-7 PM ). All suggestions are appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner with young child

Bonniegal, I think we could help you more if you give us an idea of kind of food (Tex-Mex,Italian, American, Aisan,barbecue,seafood,steaks etc.), area of town, price range etc. I can't even think of a restaurant regardless of price range that isn't child friendly as long as he's behaved and sitting with his family. To get you started - County Line on 2222 immediately outside the downtown area has good food (primarily barbecue) and a mounted cow head that periodically talks. The two year old would love it!

Austin is definitely a family town!

Once you give us some guidelines you'll probably be swamped with suggestions.

And did you say you have family in Austin? - there may be a place they're dying to visit?

Welcome to Austin!

www.austintexas.org for the Visitor Center Web site with lots of restaurants and their descriptions listed as well as a place for you to order a free visitor guide.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner with young child

Hello again, We are thinking about American/Fusion or seafood and the price range can be as high as $ 35 per person. I guess what we are looking for is somewhere that is somewhat "fine dining," without any stuffiness. We are taking our family out to dinner so we would like it to be nice. Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner with young child

For seafood there's Eddie V's Edgewater Grill, Truluck's and McCormick and Schmick's, all downtown. I realize M and M is a chain but they do a very nice job. There's Moonshine which has excellent food and an eclectic menu. Roy's Hawaiian Food is downtown and delicious. None of these are stuffy! Roy's did have a fixed price menu offering for $35. Eddie V's doesn't post a menu price but it will compare with the Roy's prices. I suggest you look at the web sites for all the restaurants to get an idea of price range. Just "google" the restaurant name along with Austin to pull them in. The drinks ahead of time and wine with dinner may bump you past the $35.

Welcome to Austin.

Take time to look at the restaurants listed on the www.austintexas.org visitor center web site for additional suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner with young child

Thank you Yankeetransplant! We have been to both McCormick and Schmicks and Roys in other locations and thought they were great! Now to pick just one! I looked up the website for Eddie V's and the food looks yummy; maybe we will go for that! Thanks again!

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dinner with young child

I hate to be a downer, but Eddie V's is one of the few spots you can dress up and go to for a special occasion dinner (we go there for birthdays and anniversaries). Unless the 2 year old is very well behaved.... I would not consider it a location for a dinner with kids.

bse
Austin
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dinner with young child

Moonshine is an excellent recommendation! it's local and the food is great but like most of austin it's casual and will be fine for a young child. i'd also suggest east side cafe.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dinner with young child

I went on the website for Moonshine, and although the food looks great, it also looks extremely rich and heavy. I think we are all interested in somewhere that has a few healthy choices. We will most likely go with Roys or McCormick and Schmicks, as they are pretty reliable, and frequented by families, as well as just couples. That's too bad about Eddie V's being not too child friendly, but I have also found myself in a position where a screaming 2-3 year old has ruined our meal. This particular child isn't very rambunctious but you just never know how he will be if he gets bored or tired.........

Austin
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dinner with young child

Most of the restaurants in Austin are kid friendly.

My daughter's most favorite place in Austin when she was very little was Hula Hut. It still is now that she's almost a teen. The food is excellent and you can dine inside or over the water in their enclosed pier dining. You have a view of the water or lots of decoration and bright colors that catch little ones eyes. Also, if the kids get antsy, you can take them out and there is an safe area where you can walk around and see if the ducks are out!

Moonshine was mentioned and it also has a great weekend brunch!

My daughter also liked dining at Hill's Cafe in South Austin and Shady Grove on Barton Springs. Food is down homey at Hills and very good at Shady Grove. They have both live music at night on the weekends and you can sit outside which was great for her - something was always catching her attention outside or she would just dance.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Hula Hut
Hula Hut
936 Reviews
Austin, TX
Shady Grove
Shady Grove
565 Reviews
Austin, TX
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dinner with young child

Hula Hut looks like a great take! We northerners love sitting outside and having dinner near the water. We will hope for good weather and give it a shot! Plus, my husband and his nephew ( the 2 year old's dad) will be doing some fishing on Friday so I'm sure they won't want to get too dressed up for dinner. Thanks to all of you for being such a great help!

Mentioned in this post
Hula Hut
Hula Hut
936 Reviews
Austin, TX
10. Re: dinner with young child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 18:19