We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids Activities in Austin

Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Kids Activities in Austin

Could you please give me ideas for activities to do with young kids (10,7,3) in Austin? Heat must be a consideration because we will be there in July. I know about the children's museum downtown. What else would be fun?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

Barton Springs and Zilker Park- the best places to be in Austin on a hot July day. Texasoutside.com has a good section on both. The Bob Bullock museum also is good for kids- maybe not 3 y/o but the other two. Check out austinmuseums.org and austintexas.org for a couple of good sites for looking up details.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

I second Barton Springs. I can't believe folks that visit here, much les go to school or live in Austin, don't go. Much more interesting than just another swimming pool

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

There is also Deep Eddy pool that has movies on Sat nights.

Bob Bullock/Texas History Museum is great and very well done.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
j62
NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

July heat will be tough to bear between the hours of 10am to about 6pm, so plan on either being inside somewhere or being in water somewhere.

Here are some 'before 10am things to do, if your kids are the get up and out early kind.

1. Walk the Town Lake hike/bike trail. You can park near the YMCA on Lamar Blvd, just N of the river.

2. In Zilker Park, hike upstream (Barton Creek) - easy walking trail, under cover of shade trees

3. A bit further "upstream" hike on the Barton Creek to the Twin Falls area. Park on Mopac S access road from Loop360. Went there last week and creek was bone dry, but if it rains at all there may be some water in the creek. Hike is nice even w/o water.

Other pools - depending on where you are staying. The YMCA on the East side of town has a nice kids pool - slides, etc. If you ara a YMCA member in your hometown check it out. There's also a Y downtown.

Some other things not already mentioned.

4. Canoe rental at Zilker park. You can paddle out onto Town Lake or stay in the Barton Creek inlet. Lots of turtles sunning plus ducks - bring bread to feed the latter. This can be hot, so avoid during high sun hours.

5. See a movie - lots of theaters around town

6. Childrens' museum - 10 & 7yr old will find it too baby.

7. Congress Street bats - come out ~15-20min past sunset - sometime around 8:30 or so. Park at the newspaper co lot south side of the river at Congress (across from the Hyatt).

8. Go tubing in San Marcos or New Braunfels. This activity is better for older kids - some 7-10yr olds find it cold, scary or boring, while others just love it.

9. Instead of tubing, go to Schlitterbahn - great waterpark. Three kids are tough with one parent, but if there are two of you it���s a blast. Bring a picnic and stay for the day. You can buy your tickets ahead of time online and not wait in line when you get there.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Town Lake
Town Lake
433 Reviews
Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

All of the above are great. Add to the list:

Shopping at SoCo ��� South Congress is a funky hip area just south of the Congress Street Bridge. While shopping with kids is not necessarily the best idea there are several shops they'd be interested in. Check out Lucy In Disguise: Costumes and props, vintage clothes, and other fun accessories. Terra Toys: as the name implies. Yard Dog http://www.yarddog.com/ an art gallery, I always see cool, funky art there (usually out of my price range, but definitely fun to browse.) There are also plenty of restaurants that are kid friendly Amys Ice Cream http://www.amysicecream.com/ (an Austin institution and not to be missed) now has a store here. I'd also recommend Magnolia Cafe http://www.cafemagnolia.com/, especially for breakfast.

OK here's a secret about the bats at Congress St. Bridge. While it's way cool to watch them leave at dusk, it s even more cool to watch them come back in the morning. Arrive about 30 minutes before sunrise. Yes I know it s early! You ll hear this vibrating noise, sort of like paper tearing. It sounds so close. As it gradually gets lighter, you'll start to see them, thousands diving down and under the bridge. It's so cool! The bats feed at up to two miles high, when they are ready to come back to roost, they tuck in their wings and start a freefall. As the get close to the bridge, they open their wings to navigate back to their spot, that's the noise you hear.

Another spot the whole family should enjoy is the new (opened earlier this year) Whole Foods Supermarket. There's tons of prepared foods, bakery, etc��� come hungry. This is the company's "Landmark' store and corporate headquarters. Check out the press release at wholefoodsmarket.com/company/pr_02-22-05.html

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
South Congress Hotel
South Congress Hotel
330 Reviews
Austin, TX
Magnolia Cafe
Magnolia Cafe
438 Reviews
Austin, TX
Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

Thank you so much for all of the ideas! We go to Austin fairly often because of my husband's work, so I will try out all of these!

One question about the bats.... I have seen them in the past, but I think it was late spring. We tried to see them last summer and had a good place to watch (we thought) at the Newspaper (?), but it was completely dark by the time the bats came out and you could just vaguely see shadows. We had sat out there for a long time with little kids and then couldn't see anything! Frustrating! What did we do wrong?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids Activities in Austin

As I understand the bats, the population grows throughout the summer with peak popluations in late August early September. Also, as summer goes on they start leaving to feed earlier.