We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

I am a Florida girl and was hoping to get some good cold sweet tea during my stay in Austin cause it was so hot last week and I couldn't find it anywhere I ate! What's up with that?

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

Good gosh that's shocking! I can't seem to find anything BUT sweet tea! LOL. It's getting old ordering "and an UNsweet tea" and having the people reply back "UNsweet?!" like I'm half alien. (and then half the time bringing me sweet tea anyway)

I'm really sorry about your bad experience LadyGator, but can you tell me where you ate so next time I'm in Austin I can go get some yummy bitter tea? ;)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

Hmmm...in these parts we just order "tea" and put sugar or sweetener in it. Is it different back East?

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

Well, texhills, it's different in Waco (okay... THAT'S a straight line if there ever was one...LOL)

Here in Waco you have to specify UNsweet tea if you want it. I guess a high percentage of people here must order sweet. It comes with sugar (and I mean LOTS OF sugar) already in it, mixed in while the tea was still warm so the sugar would melt. If you order tea, you'll usually get asked "Sweet or Unsweet?" and then you get looked at like you have two heads when you say "UNsweet". :D

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

We lived in Georgia for awhile and my husband has to have sweet tea. It is found at Chick-fil-A for sure. I think it was offered at Joe's Crab Shack, McDonald's, County Line and Cracker Barrel just to name a few.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,448 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

You didn't stop at Bill Miller's BBQ, they're everywhere. I grew up on unsweet tea and only use sweetner if it is not brewed right.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

Go to McAlister's! They are famous for it.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

I'm with you on this one Owl- some of that sweet tea will take the enamel off of your teeth! ;-)

And it IS quite the shock when you order Unsweet tea and take a sip of VERY SWEET tea- this happened to me recently at Sonic- YIPES!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

I had no idea these regional differences in tea preparation existed in Texas. I don't recall ever ordering ice tea and having it served already sweetened, which I don't like. But then my experience in Waco dining is limited to the fast food places on I35 whre I have a soft drink and the IHOP where I have coffee.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

texhills- not sure where you base out of but my experiences with this sweet vs unsweet weirdness is all over- Fort Worth, Dallas, Austin, here in East Texas, not to mention from here to Florida and back. Granted, there are still "civilized" places that just serve honest-to-goodness brewed tea and let you put (or in my case NOT put) your own choice of sweetner in. I laugh at my sister when I am drinking my tea "straight" and she is opening 6-7 little sugar packets to pour in- were we raised in the same household???

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Could not find sweet tea in TEXAS!

There are definite regional differences here in Texas. I grew up in north east Texas and sweet tea was everywhere and very very sweet. I worked at a restaurant as a teenager and our sweet tea tasted like pancake syrup. We served unsweet tea, but it was rare for anyone to order it. I also found sweet tea to be pretty prevalent in Houston. However, since moving to Austin, after spending 9 years on the East Coast where properly brewed iced tea in general is hard to come by, I've noticed that most places serve unsweetened tea and let you add your own sugar or sugar substitute. The only exceptions to this are at places already mentioned above -- Cracker Barrel, McAlister's Deli, BBQ places. I'm not sure if this lack of sweet tea reflects a change in public consciousness about excess sugar, or cost savings on the part of restaurants that do not want to brew two different iced teas, or a true regional preference.