We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

I don't drive and would like to visit Austin with my teen (18 yrs) and my younger son (age 9) and my husband over Christmas ... We'll rent a car to visit the in laws in San Antonio for a day or two but other than that -- is there anywhere convenient to stay that would not require a car? Is there anything to do that we could walk to or use public transportation for?

an indoor pool would be a plus for my son ...

Thanks,

Rachel

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
795 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

Your best bet for hotels will be the downtown area, between IH 35 and Loop 1 (Mopac) and between about 15th St to south of Lady Bird Lake around Barton Springs/Riverside. This will keep you close to the Capitol, Bob Bullock Museum, the trails around Lady Bird Lake and South Congress. Check Capital Metro's website for bus routes in the area http://www.capmetro.org/

What type of things did you have in mind to do with your 2 children?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

I agree that the only place you can really stay without a car in Austin is downtown. I only know of two downtown hotels with indoor pools - the Intercontinental Stephen F. Austin on Congress Ave. and the Embassy Suites Downtown/Town Lake (the Lake is now called Lady Bird Lake). The Embassy Suites may be better for a family since you would have extra space and free breakfast.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

thanks for the advice .. I'd love some idea on what to do in Austin as well ... I don't know what would be interesting to a 9 yr old there...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

If you plan to use the buses in Austin, be sure to stop by the bus office downtown and get schedule pamphlets for the lines you plan to use. Buses are very infrequent on many lines, and if you just show up and wait, you can be there half an hour or 45 minutes even during the day. If you have a schedule, you can arrange to be there at the correct time.

Buy an unlimited pass for the number of days you'll be using the buses. It's very inexpensive.

5. Re: Austin with no car, travelling w/teen & child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2011, 05:16