We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Forget Austin places, forget Salt Lick, I want to know the run down between Kreuz Market, Smitty's, and Blacks. Luling is also close enough so throw City Market into the mix.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,452 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Would love to have eaten in Luling on our Texas trip back in February but we arrived for an early supper about 5 pm and all the places including City Market and Luling BBQ were out of meat and about to close- so go at lunch or do not worry about stopping in. Will try to stop in Luling again later this summer when we are back in the area- this time at lunch!!!

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Luling Bar B Que provided lunch one day for volunteers at the Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally.

It was outstanding, tender, and the sauce was delicious. I didn't have time to try the sides but they went so fast they must have been good too.

I wasn't familiar with Luling BBQ before but I am now and I'll definitely recommend it.

Our family isn't a fan of Salt Lick. The atmosphere is great but we don't like their BBQ nearly as much as we like others in the area.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Smitty's wins my vote. Atmosphere trumped only by the food. No sauce needed!!!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Smitty's! And do not neglect getting some sausage - excellent! On the brisket, ask for both fatty and lean, burnt ends if they have them.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

BBQ, like steak, Greek, Italian or whatever, is a matter of individual taste and experience. Perhaps the notion that Austin BBQ, and that of other places, is somehow inferior to that of Lockhart or Luling is acquired from relentless promotion in the media and even in TA posts. Long experience around the state tells me otherwise. But if your checklist of places to dine includes Lockhart or Luling, by all means go. However, it's like Manhattanites going to Peter Luger's for steak when there are great places in their own neighborhoods.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

We didn't have the best experience at Smitty;s and prefer Kruetz. Black's was also pretty tasty, well - they were all tasty. Have not been to Luling, but have tried all 3 in Lockhart.

My favorite place to get Salt Lick is at the Austin airport. Just a tip in case you decide you want to try it. I love their brisket and egg breakfast tacos.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Ok cool, so far we have :

2 Votes for Smitty's

1 Vote for Kruetz

0 Votes for Blacks

0 Votes for City Market

(and 3 Non Votes for any of the places mentioned)

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Since you're orders are paid for by the pound at smokehouses along the TX bbq trail (north to Taylor), I would suggest ordering only a few brisket slices, maybe a sausage and a rib at several different smokehouses. That way you can form your own opinion amongst several "taste testings". It's a very fun way to spend a late morning into afternoon, appreciating the unique smoking/saucing/utensil need/side dish differences. Since you'll be in that great area, you'd really be doing yourself a dis-justice by enjoying only one.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

Sounds like a great plan actually, I guess I'd just hate having only a couple slices of brisket (or a couple ribs) at the best place to go to a place that isn't as good when I could have enjoyed much more deliciousness at a better spot.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best BBQ in Lockhart (or Luling)

As texhills stated above "BBQ...is a matter of individual taste and experience". Only your own tastebuds can tell you which one is best.

Personally, I don't think you'll go wrong with any choice in that area, but like anything, most come away with an individual preference. That's not at all to say BBQ outside the area is inferior. It is to say there is a concentration of very good BBQ to be eaten in a relatively small area, allowing you to enjoy a day's "crawl" through some of BBQ's best.