We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin this coming weekend July 29

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Austin this coming weekend July 29

I have my first trip to Austin this weekend. Staying at the Hyatt downtown on the lady Bird Lake, no car. I want to hear some music, looked at the austin paper but could nt find the music listings..also eat some mex or tex mex ..will be walking...what do you recommend? Thanks, Mary from georgia

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

Hi Mary, you're from Atlanta so I know you are familiar with hot weather! But don't take any chances, keep your water handy. The Hyatt has a great location for enjoying Austin.

Look at www.austinchronicle.com to find lots of music info. The Chronicle will have clubs, locations, who's playing etc. You also have a friendly staff at the Hyatt who'll be happy to give suggestions and directions.

Restaurants for Mexican and Tex Mex would be Manuels on Congress and Chuy's on Barton Springs Road or El Sol Y La Luna on 6th. There are more. Food trailers are abundant in downtown Austin and you might want to try one of them. Again, your concierge and front desk staff at the Hyatt will be helpful.

You mentioned walking but with this heat I'm thinking you might also consider using an inexpensive cab (for Chuy's}or the pedi-cabs. I can't remember if the Hyatt offers a shuttle but that might be an option too.

Welcome to Austin!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

I recently moved out of Austin... I'd drive the 12 hour round trip just to eat at Chuy's again.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

Chuy's is ok if you are 20 something going to UT and did not grow up eating Tex-Mex, but its not real Tex-Mex. You will need a cab or car to get that in Austin.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

Chuy's may not be authentic Tex-Mex, but it's still much better than "ok" and it's very popular. I grew up eating Tex-Mex and when I moved back to Texas after living on the East Coast for 9 years, I bought a house within a 5 minute drive of a Chuy's. I have tried probably almost a hundred Tex-Mex and Tex-Mex inspired restaurants in Austin and it's still near the top of my list.

If the OP wants real authentic Mexican food, then yes, a car or a cab will be necessary. I like El Azteca - http://www.elaztecaustin.com/ - and Los Comales - yelp.com/biz/los-comales-mexican-restaurant-… - on the East Side. Nuevo Leon is about as authentic, old school Tex-Mex as you can get - http://www.nuevoleoninaustin.com/

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

Mary, people of all ages love Chuy's and they have a fun assortment of t shirts. The shirts are spotted around the world and make a great souvenir of Austin.

The altar to Elvis is a hoot! I love the margaritas, the very thin chips, a trip to Chuy's and my UT days are distant in my rear view mirror!

You'll notice MrTed and I are making a difference between Mexican and Tex-Mex.

Whatever you decide have a great time in Austin this weekend!

We'd love a report after you get back to Atlanta!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

I am well past my 20s and have had Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican food many times. No one will ever convince me not to like Chuy's. It wouldn't be a good trip to Austin without a meal at Chuy's. :)

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

If all Mexican restaurants were the same they would all be named Taco Bell.

8. Re: Austin this coming weekend July 29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 13:18