We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb? Why are hotels expensive?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Feb? Why are hotels expensive?

Hi All!

I am planning a cozy/romantic getaway for some friends and am wondering what events are going on in February that are making hotel prices high? I wanted to book a room at the Hilton Downtown and it's $189/night for the weekend of feb. 18-20. For Valentine's weekend, rooms are $40 cheaper.

Just wondering if there is something special going on that I should know about?

Also, what hotel would you recommend for about $100 - $125 a night. I'm thinking that as long as it's in walking distance of the warehouse district or sixth street, it will be worth the money.

thanks for your help!

Archer Hotel Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#2 of 205 hotels in Austin
Travaasa Austin
Travaasa Austin
#11 of 205 hotels in Austin
Hotel Saint Cecilia
Hotel Saint Cecilia
#41 of 205 hotels in Austin
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb? Why are hotels expensive?

Austin is an expensive city. You will probably not find rates below $125 at any of the large full-service hotels (i.e. the Omni, Hilton, Radisson).

There is a Hampton Inn & Suites however, that is very nice and I hear you can get some good deals off their website. Another option to you might be an Extended Stay America, but its further away from the entertainment.

Austin is a GREAT city, but it is expensive to visit and live in.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
DFW, TX, USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb? Why are hotels expensive?

The Texas Legislature is in session this year. Lobbyists, idustrialists, & PACs, with expense account budgets crowd the downtown hotels and dining during the session. No bargains, because they don't have an occumpany issue.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb? Why are hotels expensive?

Austin just ain't that cheap. If you want romantic, just spend the money and stay at the Four Seasons. It's expensive, but it's right on Town Lake. There is an Embassy Suites/Residence Inn (I forget which) on the other side of Town Lake that isn't bad, and you're right by downtown. Lots of folks like the Habitat Suites.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Town Lake
Town Lake
436 Reviews
Austin, TX
west texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb? Why are hotels expensive?

Try Hotwire. I've gotten the Stephen F. for about that,under 4 1/2 stars) and the Omini Downtown(4 stars for less. Short of Hotwire or Priceline, you aren't going to get that rate in downtown Austin, except maybe the Radisson town lake, facing town. I highly recommend the Habitat Suites for about 99.00. Its an eco-friendly hotel, very quiet, lovely pool and a good breakfast. You can drive down to sixth street in 15 minutes or less. See my review! Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas