We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and Music in Austin

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Food and Music in Austin

Hello...hope someone out there can lead me in the right direction. My friend and I are planning a motorcycle trip in early June 2012 from Atlanta to Austin. We mostly want to see the sights and hear the sounds of American music. Where should we plan to stay so that local music is only a walk away. We would like to be able to leave the bikes parked so we can eat and drink on foot. That said ... we'll probably need safe bike parking and maybe laundry facilities too. Any ideas out there?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
191 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and Music in Austin

Depends on how much you want to spend as well...

There's a Hyatt and a Radisson just by Ladybird Lake that are a few blocks from 6th Street (where all the music happens).

The historic Driscoll hotel if you want to feel like you've gone back in time to a luxurious older hotel.

There's the new "W" hotel in downtown. And, of course, the Omni and the Four Seasons.

My friend who is a business traveler likes staying at the Hampton Inns and Suites on San Jacinto.

If you want more of an "Austin weird" experience, you might try the Austin motel http://www.austinmotel.com/. It's located right smack dab in the middle of all that happens on S. Congress. You'd be about a mile or two from sixth street, though.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 09:32
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,662 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and Music in Austin

for BBQ and depending on your length of stay...you could bike out to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood Texas or continue a little farther to Lockhart TX (4BBQ joints)

Salt Lick-one of the last indoor smokehouses

www.saltlickbbq.com

Lockhart video

thedaytripper.com/episodes/episode-203-lockh…

not downtown but again if you have time, stop by the infamous Broken Spoke honky tonk

http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com/

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and Music in Austin

The heart of the music scene (for tourists) is 6th street. There are several hotels in the area but they are generally high end. I love The Driskill, but plan on spending at least $250 a night. The two less expensive hotels closest to 6th street are the Capitol La Quinta and the Extended Stay America. I'm not familiar with the Hampton Inn mentioned above.

There are a lot of bars and restaurants around town that have live music, but they are not in walking distance of each other like on 6th street.

There are several parking garages and street level lots in the area where you can park that have on duty attendants.

Salt Lick is definitely worth the drive, but know that they are BYOB and cash only.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and Music in Austin

June 7-10 is the big Republic of Texas biker rally in Austin. www.rotrally.com. If you're here then, you'll need to book a hotel now. Rally is at Travis County Expo Center where there's camping and downtown and is huge. Probably only second to Sturgis.

If you're not here then, I suggest you stay in the downtown area. It makes for easy walking to music, restaurants etc. Downtown Austin isn't that large and there are lots of venues on 6th, the warehouse district, s. Congress etc. These are all walkable or very very cheap cab rides. You'll have to pay for overnight parking of the bikes everywhere downtown except at Extended Stay America at 6th and Guadalupe. I believe they might also have self serve laundry but not sure. Check on it.

I don't recommend staying out on one of the highways and riding the bikes in for nighttime fun. It will definitely cost more to stay downtown but in the long run, you will be glad you did.

Have that extra margarita and walk safely back to your hotel!

Welcome to Austin!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and Music in Austin

I don't usually have trouble walking to 6th street from the hotel, its just walking back that can be problematic. :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food and Music in Austin

I totally agree with what yankeetransplant said. If you are going to be here during the biker rally, book as soon as possible and be prepared for large crowds, especially on the weekend nights. Rates are going to be higher that week due to the special event, so be prepared to pay.

7. Re: Food and Music in Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:40